Town of Lost Souls - Map DevLog

Moderator: EUO Moderators

1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Re: Town of Lost Souls - Map DevLog

Post by 1[WoWz] »

LordMortiferus wrote:It's Magic ofc! ;]
Haha what a cop-out! Jk.

Funny that you made this though, I was just brainstorming about a sky towne/fortress/whatever. Seems like it might be hard since we don't have any sky/cloud tiles.
IGN: 1
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

A map in the clouds would be nice. Reminds me a bit of Kings Quest I (the Jack and the Beanstalks story part of it anyway - and what a crappy puzzle that was: "Ifnkovhgroghprm" seriously? ). But I digress. Without the appropriate tiles it is probably not possible to create that kind of illusion.

Edit: the dragon of the cloud land in Kings Quest III was awesome though.
Last edited by LordMortiferus on Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Onyxt
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Onyxt »

LordMortiferus wrote:I had for years the idea to make a map that has the look of a submerged city. Easier said then done, though. Well I created the following screenshot as proof of concept:
atlantis.png
What do you guys think about it?
This is actually amazing, a whole map like this would be awesome.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Thanks guys - I am quite happy that this concept seems to work. I am only adding small submerged part to my map and surely will not tackle anything more ambitious any time soon. But if some one else would like to get started with such a map I'll have a small introduction about adding plant tiles:
1) open 'i'tem selection.
2) place any item where you want aquatic plants - gold coins will do.
3) left-click the item again - if you have the latest maped version a window should pop up.
4) enter the following item code for a sapling sprite that resembles an aquatic plant "586"
Item "585" young plant might work as well.

Personally I would restrict the map with a row of plants which are placed on unpassable water tiles. Behind the plants I would set "endless darkness" tiles to give the illusion of limited underwater sight.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

I decided to give a weekly update on my progress every Friday. So here it is:
First, I slowly realize why I stopped working on the map - the sheer size and complexity of it. Looking back now I would have gone another way, making a more linear map with occasional loops or short dead ends. The over world map which I made years ago is mostly non-linear with multiple paths, which probably makes it hard to navigate - maybe fun to explore though. I kept the design of the underworld map, at least the part I did the last couple of weeks map more straightforward.
Anyway, as to the progress, I am mostly done with designing the underground map, have to add some details here and there maybe. I started to smooth out the ground-level of the over world map, which should be done soon. Next step would be to make a copy of the ground-level map to make a 1st floor map, which would also be the last map and shouldn't take too long hopefully.
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

LordMortiferus wrote:I decided to give a weekly update on my progress every Friday. So here it is:
First, I slowly realize why I stopped working on the map - the sheer size and complexity of it. Looking back now I would have gone another way, making a more linear map with occasional loops or short dead ends. The over world map which I made years ago is mostly non-linear with multiple paths, which probably makes it hard to navigate - maybe fun to explore though. I kept the design of the underworld map, at least the part I did the last couple of weeks map more straightforward.
Anyway, as to the progress, I am mostly done with designing the underground map, have to add some details here and there maybe. I started to smooth out the ground-level of the over world map, which should be done soon. Next step would be to make a copy of the ground-level map to make a 1st floor map, which would also be the last map and shouldn't take too long hopefully.
I can't imagine developing a map(s) this size and complex. It seems like you're making pretty good progress since you picked it back up Lord M.

We'll cheer you on and it will be worth it to see it to see it in the game :mrgreen:
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Thanks 1, really appreciate it.
Have to slow down a bit through during the next three weeks cause I have an important exam ahead. But I keep working on it to finally finish it.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

So for the semi-weekly update:
The good news are, that I made good progress over the last week. Finished most of the layout and went into details concerning interior room design. Am glad I spend some hours on a Copy&Paste script - was really helpful to design floors above ground-level.
Anyway, I have a important exam ahead in about 2 weeks, so the bad news are that I will not be able to do much during this time.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

As stated last week I am busy atm and have not done much on the map. Albeit, I started with the scripts, but aside from general ideas about what I want to be scripted there isn't much to report yet. There will be at least two heavily scripted minibosses, one of them hidden as an Easter egg, as well as another two lesser minibosses. For normals mobs I am planning to use different avatar races mixed with other critters like dragons. That's all folks!
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

I'm still following this thread. I too have not been able to work on my maps recently.

Hope your exam goes/went well!
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Thanks 1.
Still have a bit more than a week left for learning.
I tried Game Cam V2 to record some stuff but miserably failed to get it start recording.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Short update:
I spend some time on writing attack scripts for the two main mini bosses and got about 350 lines of code so far.
Also, I tried to script a rough animated jousting event but have not gotten far with it.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Some new Ship design:
ship.gif
showing lower deck and two levels above deck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

My thesis defence went very well :lesson: and theoretical I would have time to complete the map. Bad news though, I fell in a state of procrastination as Gemcraft Chapter 2: Chasing Shadows was released just last weekend. Anyway I try to get something done until next Friday.
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

The big ship looks awesome man. Good news about your thesis too.

Procrastination is what's been holding me back too. It's a drag!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

same
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Have been adding level changer the last couple of days, as well as some other features. One thing I noticed is that there is no cross-level teleporter that can be set invisible like tel-features. So I used occasionally trd-fea (trap doors) to accomplish some "teleportation" (added text to the fea to disable trap damage). Afaik and I dearly hope rouges with 100% trap-skill will also fall through these trap doors.

Most trash bins in town that look like a latrine can be used to descend into the sewer - here I did not use trap doors cause this might get a bit annoying after. Instead, you have to press "space" to descend - one way only though!

I tried to wrap my head around blinking again. Especially for upper floor levels. While roof hopping would probably be cool I would have to set a lot of snc-fea to keep people from "floating" over ground-floor areas they should not be in.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I thought all teleporters had the option to be turned invisible. It has been a while since I've opened up the maped.

I was just taking a look. In the value section its set to 0. If set to 1 doesn't that make it invisible? Maybe you're talking about something else. I don't recall a new guide for maped being written in a long time.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

As you said "tel"-features can be turned invis (item = 1), but you can only use them to teleport on the same level. "prt"-features on the other hand let you teleport to another level, but those cannot be set invis - afaik. Then you have "trd" which are invis and can be used to teleport to another level, but they deal dmg if the text field is blank and are marked by a totem when using priest "detect traps" spell.

Anyway, "trd" seem to be working fine as invis cross level teleporters as long as you fill out the text field.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Short update and some idea I like to put forward to you guys.

First the update: I did good progress with setting features like level changer, etc.. Also finished most of the map layout - Have to add at least one upper storey for the lighthouse, which I probably make tomorrow. So happy about I can copy&paste the ground storey (basement) and change it into an upper storey elsewhere on the map - but I digress. Aside from spawner and respective scripts, I want to add a bit more litter, e.g. blood, moss, bones etc..

Now about my idea: In my castle I have a small map room that represents the overall map (in a very simplified way see screenshot). This map room is accessible on three floors. The map room becomes more and more apocalyptic the deeper you get into the castle. As the whole map is quiet big and confusing, to be honest, I thought of the following: After completing the map once - that is killing the end boss - everyone in the party is rewarded with a special townportal scroll. Like the white stone this scroll opens a TP which will lead to the map room. From this map room you can enter various parts of the map, e.g. the lighthouse or the mines. Furthermore, you can obtain advanced scrolls by beating heroic/epic versions of the map which will lead to the more apocalyptic looking map rooms, respectively.

Not sure if Max agrees with this idea and how to make it yet, but I think this is could be a nice reward that gives you better access to a map that might be otherwise too confusing to navigate - especially without blink.
map room.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.