hello

Re: maped thread - now even more difficult to use than ever

Post by eggmceye »

yeh that sounds about right
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Ultima Map sizes

Post by Keighn »

OK here's what I managed to find out through my various files that need updating as some i think are off:

from txt:
MAPS

Inside = 10x10 or 9x9 x10 deep
Outside = 20x20 or 19x19

INSIDE(WITH MAP KEY)

--------
. = open square that cannot be changed
X = wall by default, can be changed
[space] = open space by default, can be changed, but you can still pass
through it
^ = stairs up
v = stairs down
--------

Level 1:

Code: Select all

*^ .X.X.X.*
* . . . . *
*.X.X.X.X.*
* . . . . *
*.X.X.X.X.*
* .v. . . *
*.X.X.X.X.*
* . . . . *
*.X.X.X.X.*
Level 2x:
*^ .X.X.X.*
* . . .v. *
*.X.X.X.X.*
* . . . . *
*.X.X.X.X.*
* .^. . . *
*.X.X.X.X.*
* . . . . *
*.X.X.X.X.*

Level 2x+1:
* .X.X.X.*
* . . .^. *
*.X.X.X.X.*
* . . . . *
*.X.X.X.X.*
* .v. . . *
*.X.X.X.X.*
* . . . . *
*.X.X.X.X.*

Probability that any square may be...

A chest: .06
A portal down: .03*.94
A door: .4*.97*.94
A secret door: .4*.6*.97*.94
A trap: .05*.6*.6*.97*.94
Untouched: .94*.97*.6*.6*.95

OUTSIDE(WITH MAP KEY) FOR "LUCKY NUMBER" 5.

.: town
&: town where you start the game
o: ????
*: mountain
+: Lord British's

* o** *+ * x*
* o oo * *
* o o * * . *
* x *
* x . *
*o o *
*x* *o .*x** *
* o. . o oo o *
* * x *. *
*** *o * **
* x * * *
* o * * xo * *
*o** . * x o &*
*x . * . *
** * o ** **
*** ox o * *
* o x o . *
* o . *o o *
* o .* oox *

==================
ULTIMA I

Ultima I Dimensions:
Continents:64x64 with a 5-10 water border
towns/Castles:
castle 1: 18x38
castle 2: 18x38
town 1: 18x38
town 2: 18x38
town 3: 18x38
town 4: 18x22?
Town 5: 18x38
town 6: 18x38
town 7: 18x38
town 8: 18x38

Duneons 12x12 (randomly generated)
1. Empty Space
2. Wall
3. Door
4. Secret Door
5. Barrier
6. Ladder Down
7. Ladder up
8. Ladder Up/Down
9. Chest
10. Box
11. Coffin
The Overworld

There exist 4 continents on Sosaria. Each continent has 2 castles, 8 towns, 9 dungeons and 2 sign posts.
When you start the game, you are in the Lands of Lord British near the town "Britain" and the "Castle of Lord British".

4 Continents 4 of 68x68
Dungeons 10x10x10 or 9x9x10
Towns 18x38
Castles 18X38
1 Time Map 19wx9h
1 Space Map 9x9 or 7x7 quadrants

=================================
Ultima 2

14 Overworld maps (time zones & planets) 64x64
4 castles 64x64
13 towns 64x64

Dungeons 16x16xx16

=========================

Ultima 3
2 Overworld maps 64x64
2 Castles 64x64
10 Castles 64x64
4 shrines (NES total would be 64x64 put together)
7 Dungeons 61x16x8

Ultima 4
1 Overworld map 256x256
On an odd site: 16x16 sectors (each sector is 16x16 tiles) 256x256= 65,536 individual tiles (each tile is of course 16x16 pixels for 1,048,576 pixels)
4 Castles 32x32
8 towns 32x32
8 dungeons 8x8x8 (rooms inside = 11x11)

Ultima 5
1 Overmap 256x256
1 Underworld 256x256
Several Towns, Towers, villages, etc all 32x32
8 dungeons of 8x8x8 (rooms are 11x11 tiles)

Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

eggmceye wrote:just posted a new version (104): can how hit shift-g (instead of alt-g) to do a contiguous fill/tile replacement

before:
maped1.PNG
after:
maped2.PNG

also if you didn't download this year's previous version, you should get this one as it is now (as of last version) rather stable and much less prone to crash (tho I have had it crash when middle mouse dragging)
Yeah this works great. Little sections using shift g is great. And if you want all of that particular tile to be replaced on the map the good old alt g does a great job like always.

My random maps are still messing up upon reload. Still dead trees and swamp. Has anyone else had this happen? If I alt g or shift g terrain will the map still randomize? Upon saving and attempting to rerandomize it fails to work no matter how many reloads.

I also don't recall reading an "in editor" delete current map or create new map function. Maybe I need to retread the manual and cats again but I'm not seeing anything.

I think for eftv I will try my hand at adding new tiles to the game and adding them into the .dat maybe will figure out for maped and even add mobs (speaking for offline not eftvo)
Bugbo
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Bugbo »

For random maps you may have to edit the maped.cfg files to get it to generate the tiles you want, though I haven't played with it myself so I wouldn't know.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

The lands of Ultima 1 (click to enlarge):

For the Maped file click here (file has to be renamed to be used with Maped).

Enhanced version with more tiles will follow at some point.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Something that may help me out in the future for a personal project is on this page:

Kroah's Game Reverse Engineering Page

The Phantasie and 7 cities just wow me.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

shift+g to fill areas with the same tile is a bit buggy if you try to fill very large areas. Otherwise that is a superb tool to work with!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

thanks. yeh it had a recursive safety valve on it .. but was bailing out too early ... I put the recursive limiter right up until it will crash, but still it can't do really massive areas (over 20k squares) but that shouldn't be needed that often. New version uploaded but don't bother if you don't use shift-g
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

eggmceye wrote:thanks. yeh it had a recursive safety valve on it .. but was bailing out too early ... I put the recursive limiter right up until it will crash, but still it can't do really massive areas (over 20k squares) but that shouldn't be needed that often. New version uploaded but don't bother if you don't use shift-g
I've been using alt-g to fill 100x100 areas with paintsets and I noticed it usually looks glitched until you zoom in. Not a big deal, just glad it's not broken like I thought it was.
IGN: 1
speed
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

Post by speed »

Is there any way to change the name of a monster?
For example, if I dyed a white dragon pink, can a player look at it and see "pink dragon'?
-Speed(COG) = [Grandmaster Stafffighter idk...]
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Yes via scripting though

edit:
in maped, when editing the spawner, you type in the func name (in the script) that will change the name of your mob
eg

pinkDragon

then in lua somewhere

Code: Select all

function pinkDragon(m)
	m:set_species_name("pink dragon")
end
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I was just watching some various youtubes and some links came in so I watched. This is on one about Noble's Land and it certainly made me wonder. I do plan to get back into euo maped and develop some lesser maps. This video game me some ideas:

One is a simple caves system. Well, perhaps simple isn't exactly correct. Same size continent size (ie New Sosaria, Maeondir, etc) for each level. Now considering Treacherous Caves and Rank Dungeon are 8 levels deep before you hit the underworld this gives a lot of territory to cover esp since its underground. But, utilizing coordinates you could easily make a cave system that connects, dead ends and you could get lost in (esp since we have regions that block out other regions for site, though we have the M for whole map). I thought on this about for a while before but with towns (we have basements though I'm not sure if they are exact coordinates). And I was also thinking on terms of 2-story plus maps.

I don't recall if euo or others similar games utilized the exiting a building and only showing roof tiles for the building when exited

Outside of building:

Inside of Building (though actually, you should be able to see outside the walls except through the windows.

Maybe this works better to illustrate what I'm thinking:
Outside and you can see the roofs of a particular building.

Inside a room or building and you can't see outside the walls.

I probably should have just drew a couple of pictures which I might do.

The maped Noble's Land and others use has Chunking. I think we have paint sets of tiles we can use. Again, its been a while. I do think Nobles land could have benefitted with euo's awesome filling technique (case in point when he was filling up the room with floor tile by tile).

Obviously such games like Noble's or dransik has massive land masses so I'm guess each "chunk" is loaded up individually or several are? Kind of like the loading time in Ultima IV or V on the C64.

I just rather enjoy watching developing of games and esp their map making utilities. Now maybe I should start much smaller and make some actual maps. Something not too grindy.
fabgrass
Kodiak has probably banned me by now.

Post by fabgrass »

hello
is there a way today to create / run / evaluate maps with maped, for who don t have a local server? (for which was said "don't even ask")
I'm french --> dont flame my broken english thx
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

There are dev version of euo which are stripped down playables. Pretty rare for updated ones unless you've garnered the trust of egg and are actually putting out maps that he considers are of merit to be added. As is, Maped can do a lot of things but actually playtest... I don't think so.

Stripped down versions DO NOT have:
shops
quests
and most maps in the game.

I have a very very old one that uses ancient euo rules and it only had the continent, and Nordhaven. Egg also sent me all the maps for River's end because I was going to do some modifications. I never did finish that.

That said, you can copy cmaps into the smaps section and tool around. You only get the map (no monsters, functions, quests, or npcs). When you learn how to use the paint brush sets, and fill techniques, and regions, and functions and mob placement it can be pretty fun to tool around in. I don't think every map in euo is in cmaps though. I might be wrong but I don't think I have them all. Actually, I'm not sure if maped can count beyond 300 maps.

My suggestions: Print out the guides. Print out some of the coding suggestions if you know how to do use lua. Keep that stuff hand and be sure you know exactly how the game works as a player. Carefully scrutinize the maps currently in-game. See how their challenge levels compare. And do base your maps off of the regular server for the most part. PD levels fast but reg is 10x slower to level than reg so if you make some mega-epic hard map you need to know it can be completed on all servers.

At this time parties are limited to 5 players + pets and summons. Naturally many parties can charge a dungeon (not like that's going to happen unless euo goes mega viral). Read those manuals and absorb their knowledge. Some data is outdated but there's a lot of good tips in there. And if you know how to program then you can use some of the functions to their fullest advantage.

Cheers and good luck.
fabgrass
Kodiak has probably banned me by now.

Post by fabgrass »

Keighn wrote:There are dev version of euo which are stripped down playables. Pretty rare for updated ones unless you've garnered the trust of egg and are actually putting out maps that he considers are of merit to be added. As is, Maped can do a lot of things but actually playtest... I don't think so.

Stripped down versions DO NOT have:shops quests and most maps in the game.
that's not a problem , if it s only to see map result and behaviour in game environment
Keighn wrote: I have a very very old one that uses ancient euo rules and it only had the continent, and Nordhaven. Egg also sent me all the maps for River's end because I was going to do some modifications. I never did finish that.
enough for my needs, even if my customers should say : you have more important things to do!...
Keighn wrote: That said, you can copy cmaps into the smaps section and tool around. (...)
handling the toolset isn t a problem
Keighn wrote: My suggestions: Print out the guides. Print out some of the coding suggestions if you know how to do use lua. Keep that stuff hand and be sure you know exactly how the game works as a player. Carefully scrutinize the maps currently in-game. See how their challenge levels compare. And do base your maps off of the regular server for the most part. PD levels fast but reg is 10x slower to level than reg so if you make some mega-epic hard map you need to know it can be completed on all servers.

At this time parties are limited to 5 players + pets and summons. Naturally many parties can charge a dungeon (not like that's going to happen unless euo goes mega viral). Read those manuals and absorb their knowledge. Some data is outdated but there's a lot of good tips in there. And if you know how to program then you can use some of the functions to their fullest advantage.

Cheers and good luck.
thx for this long answer. Yes for now I just have to train maped, and test functionalities; but it's completly dry while maps can't be tested. I m an advanced programmer with 30y experience, never used LUA but I know it; did a lot of things with the (very good, very powerful) aurora toolset for nwn and it's API, I bended it to obtain all needed fxs! I don't know if maped has the same system of event customization and data structure (in which each object or object template is moddable) you know the aurora toolset?

For maped the real problem is map testing. Without that, useless to try to do something. is it possible to " have a very very old one"? :)

river's end : big job! need some additional quests :)

another place : the gigantic, beautiful - and virtually empty - monastery. It miss npcs, quests, in one word : life!... Or I missed the reason why it s empty? But it s not the subject. :)
I'm french --> dont flame my broken english thx
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Monastery/domain used to be a lot more empty. It has a lot more content now than it did. I haven't actually, plunged myself into every map to the fullest. For a while it was all about getting the quests down and items and spells. Now, I need to slow up a bit and look at the maps from a different perspective. But that won't be today... Time warner cable are being tards and net is at a crawl. I may have to upgrade my shitty package or threaten to leave and go to a different service. I hear of one that gets 400mbs (compared to the promised 15mbs which when tested is barely hitting 1mbs... I think I might test today.. I bet its in the kbs. I had enough dialup for a decade; I don't want that experience gain).
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

LordMortiferus wrote:There is a way to place maptiles as tinted items. The old way is described by Keighn with an update by myself.
Luckily and a lot of thanks to Max, Maped got changed since then and it is way easier to do the trick. Place an item with Maped and left-click the item again - now a window should pop up asking for a new item code. A tinted code is based on the following formula:
M0T43d
where M is the Maptile hexcode (2 to 3 digits), 0 is 0, T is the tint (1 digit only!) and 43d is the code for Maptile.

For example:
5e0f43d
5e = mountain
f = crystal tint
43d = maptile
Tints that show a color are:
T = 3 Copper
T = 4 Brass
T = 7 Gold
T = a venomous
T = b vampyric
T = c blackrock
T = d glass
T = e adamantium
T = f crystal
tintedmaptiles.png
Note: This is a hack and while it seems to work I cannot not say if it is supposed to work like this and if Max approves of it. Anyway, items placed that way will block movement but not sight and you cannot interact with them as a player in anyway, afaik.
I know I've asked this before and I think it was answered but for the bloody life of me I can't find the post with the code. I'm messing around on a paint program and I need the tint code for each of the tints in the game (maybe the colors as well available in the Cashe Shoppe).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CIAassassin
Posting from my ass computer.

Post by CIAassassin »

Hey, is there a way to change where an image dump lands instead of parent directory?
Rikimaru

"Oh, you're a lesbian? That's cool, I'm a lesbian trapped in a mans body, we should date."
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

nope, what do you need it for?
CIAassassin
Posting from my ass computer.

Post by CIAassassin »

I was going to print off the image dump to have a copy of a parent level in front of me while working on a map. Was more of an OCD / lazy thing to not have to manually move an image.
Rikimaru

"Oh, you're a lesbian? That's cool, I'm a lesbian trapped in a mans body, we should date."