maped thread - now even more difficult to use than ever

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Re: maped thread - now even more difficult to use than ever

Post by Keighn »

A further thought as I'm having a hell of a time making a random dungeon map.. or getting one started on eftv or euo.

An option to START a new blank map. Then the shift t for type of random map that includes lava cavern types, tower in maeondir, dungeon beneath farimond, dungeon, caves, , random continent like weekly. under kaza etc.

Then the shit r to look through the maps to randomly pop up. then an option to change it from random to permanent so you have something to work with if you're lazy.

further algorithms for more random types maps
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Sosaria from Ultima 3 with Euotopia tileset and additional litter:
Click to enlarge!

Here is the map-file.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Now you've done it!! 1 :alarm: :alarm: :rage: :2cool:
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

Oh boy Lord M. That looks great. Would we be able to use it if we come up with a way to make it a parody? Haha
IGN: 1
Djanno
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Djanno »

1[WoWz] wrote:Oh boy Lord M. That looks great. Would we be able to use it if we come up with a way to make it a parody? Haha
Escape from Zozaria!
Djanno :smoke:
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Hey keighn, I have quite a few comments about your experiences so here we go!

* these comments only concern EftV offline / roguelike !
* It's all heavily undocumented so using maped with eftv would be a new experience for anyone - so don't get frustrated
* The main technical thing is: ONLY COPY maped.exe into your eftv folder - do not copy sdat ! if you have, you've buggered it up! So start fresh. The latest maped.exe is not bad, and it even has help (hit ?)
* All of the maps in eftv are random gen EXCEPT #0 (start) #9 (irradiated city) #14 (the end) - random generated means, to spell it out, created by programming, not in maped!
* noting that, you can't just make a new map and link it to a random map (such as continent!) and hope the entrances stay etc - the entrances to the new map (from the random one) need to be programmed in
* you can however look at any eftv random map in maped ! Just load it. To regen it (ie see it change live) hit CTRL-R ! so load up 3 (vault#2), zoom out and hit ctrl-r till the cow comes home
* I'm not going to give a primer on random maps here - but maybe one day
* if you want to make a new map you need a new # (start from 15) and to test the map either link to it from one of the non-random levels (0,9 or 14) or use /dm commands to get into it
* the dm command to teleport into a new map is /sudo asdf tele X Y Z ... where asdf is the password (yes asdf IS the eftv dm password) and X Y is the co-rds and Z is the level num (eg 15)
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Ah, we'll no wonder I couldn't get the help feature to work. I was hitting ? But nada.

I was wondering why I couldn't link to continent or say scorpion caves.

I put up a link in the eftv forum to what I messed with as far as transferring euo maps to eftv.

I simply made a lvl link in the starting cell. This linked to a series of lvl to rank dungeon to treacherous caves to underworld to a single link to rivers end (with mobs and features) through hells keep.

Due to tiles being numbered and arrayed differently via Sdat, the maps look uh.... Confusing (exception being most of underworld). The really weird shit doesn't happen until rivers end. A huge glowing ? Is fascinating and I see an idea forming in my brain (thinking about mob Identification skill). It says phase beast but naturally nothing opens upon death of the thing. The root mob acts like a boss more or less (have to read the combat notes to be sure you know what is is)

As an aside will mapped or does it utilize a similar F12 menu function to access various things like resolutions, the new program you have for text (ESP books), sound, etc.

For now I will start with a fresh set according to your instructions.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Ah mort you beat me to posting such a version. I imagine it'd be flawless if we could move vertical as per horizontal to off/edge map like the old days. It does make a nice island. I recall rusty or someone doing an ambrosia and I had been working on changing some of the dungeons to euo style. Maybe I should mess around with that idea to reacquaint myself with maped.

Manuals and cat's are now printed.

One future algorithm I would love to see if possible.

Take a map of a certain size (say a 10x10 map or even that sis aria map); enter the algorithm and a doubles, trebles, or quadruples each tile in accordance to what it is.

So in effect, a simple way to double the size of a map of the same structure with little effort. Then you can fine tune the map as normal per maped. Would start at 0,0 and anything over 250, 250 would not show.

Easier than how I do it (mostly utilizing paintbrush sizes)
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

OK, finished up my test. Here's what the current random does. BTW, ? works like a charm on a fresh install of maped. Simply copy or move the maped articles into euo directory and make sure smaps is empty. Works great.

Now the bad news. Random dungeons and caves are a mess on all versions of euo, eftvo, and eftv.

Here's what you get upon making a random dungeon on eftv or eftvo
Walls including border are:
maptile 53 = a dead tree bv=0 bm=1

Your default massive floor to walk on is:
tile 43 (2b) = a swamp

doors are generally:
tile 110 (6e) = a door
mapetile 33 = a tube sign (bv=1 bm=1)

spawn is generally:
chests?
type=2 c/c=1 rate=5 max=3-6 (this is random) area=0

you get one exit of ladder down: tile 60 (3c) a ladder down
lvl (to 1)

random items:
10e = a flaming drum (furniture) -- the only one i ever see

Other random tiles sparsely around:
Nothing I can tell

Now Random caves:
Mostly the same but no doors. Walls are again the dead tree and floor is the swamp.

Sometimes you get a spawner sometimes not.
One lvl (1) down again.

Other tiles:
45 sand
52 a mound
39 a wall (slime one)
114 a secret door (green one)
42 a wall (water running one from a hole)
33 a tube sign

Same items a burning drum.

The same is more or less said for euo but the extra tiles are a little different. Still dead tree for walls and swamp for floor.

So.. I assume either random is messed up or you have some way to put in what the random walls and floor should be along with items, mobs, and exits.

Perhaps in the future parameters can be set to the types of walls and floors and items in a ratio.. (again, maybe that is in and I'm not noticing it.

Good = ? works great.
Bad = random is messed up??
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

I used the Ultima Map Viewer (see my other post somewhere else) and maps from the internet to create a 1 to 1 copy with Maped, albeit without the giant snake. Which can be downloaded from here. In a second step a smoothed out the shoreline and the rivers and then added litter to the grass tiles as well as some swamps and hills.

Which brings me to some stuff Keighn mentioned.
While some of your ideas can be done within Maped and the help of LUA (..\scripts.maps\) it sure is a bit cumbersome, especially if you do not know what you are up to. It would be nice to intertwine LUA scripts with the GUI of maped, but I guess that is not easily done.
Anyway, I wrote a LUA script to copy and paste chunks of a map to other parts, which can be executed with Maped. Something like that could be used to multiply chunks of a map like you had in mind.

What I personally would like to have is a script that automatically smooths the shoreline and adds river tiles where needed. (kay such script does already exist as part of other scripts, like rusty's farimond dungeon etc. and I am just too lazy to make it standalone) What I mean, and here we are back to intertwine lua and maped, is a button in maped that executes such a script just once and automatically reloads the map. Does not sound too complicated when you think about it. You could even have a pop-up window to define certain variables before hand................ I digress.
Here is a good start for such a script - it does shorelines at least: Gonna add a scrit tonight.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I think some map programs I've used for d&d (core rules 1.0 & 2.0) had that effect with connecting terrain ESP waterways. A few game editors as well like Arcanum.

What are the pink "u" s?
Bugbo
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Bugbo »

Keighn wrote:I think some map programs I've used for d&d (core rules 1.0 & 2.0) had that effect with connecting terrain ESP waterways. A few game editors as well like Arcanum.

What are the pink "u" s?
Thats for undertiles. So you can specify what tile appears underneath it instead of the default.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Speaking of adding such a map to Euotopia. Anything other than Ultima 4 maps are probably a no go as the rights are still claimed by ea(?). U4 on the other hand is public domain. Maps from U4 could be added as Eastereggs.

Anyway, here is the code that should help with shorelines and rivers. You only have to place the basic watertiles, e.g. 126, and the script adds shore and river tiles.

Code: Select all

-- Script automatically smooths shorelines and places rivers in Maped
-- By LordMortiferus 24.09.2015

function load_map_005(lvl, load_on_the_fly) -- change map number if needed

map=get_map_ptr(lvl)

local MaxMapWidth = map:get_max_x()-1
	local MaxMapHeight = map:get_max_y()-1

local ArrayWater = {[126] = "water", [249] = "deep water",
						[141] = "shore", [140] = "shore", [139] = "shore", [138] = "shore", [130] = "shore", [131] = "shore", [129] = "shore", [128] = "shore",
						[132] = "river", [133] = "river", [134] = "river", [135] = "river", [136] = "river", [137] = "river", [138] = "river", [142] = "river", [143] = "river",
						[034] = "bridge", [061] = "bridge", [049] = "jetty", [197] = "stones", [198] = "stones",
						[201] = "ship", [202] = "ship", [204] = "ship", [205] = "ship", [206] = "ship", [207] = "ship", [208] = "ship", [209] = "ship", [210] = "ship"}

for xx=0,MaxMapWidth do
		for yy=0,MaxMapHeight do
			local AreaAquatic = ""
			local t = map:get_tile(xx, yy)

if t == 126 or t == 249 then
				for yyy = yy-1, yy+1 do	
					for xxx = xx-1, xx+1 do
						if xxx >= 0 or xxx <= MaxMapWidth or yyy >= 0 or yyy <= MaxMapHeight then
							local t2 = map:get_tile(xxx, yyy)
							if ArrayWater[t2] ~= nil then
								AreaAquatic = string.format("%sW",AreaAquatic) -- W for true
							else 
								AreaAquatic = string.format("%sS",AreaAquatic) -- S for false
							end
						else
							AreaAquatic = string.format("%sW",AreaAquatic)
						end
					end
				end
				if AreaAquatic == "WWWWWWWWW" then
					map:set_tile(xx,yy,t) 
				elseif AreaAquatic == "SSSSWSSSS" then
					map:set_tile(xx,yy,126)
				elseif string.format("%s%s%s",string.sub(AreaAquatic,2,2),string.sub(AreaAquatic,4,6),string.sub(AreaAquatic,8,8)) == "SWWWS" then
					map:set_tile(xx,yy,132) -- river west-east
				elseif string.format("%s%s%s",string.sub(AreaAquatic,2,2),string.sub(AreaAquatic,4,6),string.sub(AreaAquatic,8,8)) == "WSWSW" then
					map:set_tile(xx,yy,133) -- river north-south
				elseif string.format("%s%s%s",string.sub(AreaAquatic,2,3),string.sub(AreaAquatic,4,6),string.sub(AreaAquatic,8,9)) == "WSSWWWS" then
					map:set_tile(xx,yy,142) -- river north-south-east
				elseif string.format("%s%s%s",string.sub(AreaAquatic,1,2),string.sub(AreaAquatic,4,6),string.sub(AreaAquatic,7,8)) == "SWWWSSW" then
					map:set_tile(xx,yy,143) -- river west-north-south
				elseif string.format("%s%s%s",string.sub(AreaAquatic,1,2),string.sub(AreaAquatic,4,6),string.sub(AreaAquatic,8,9)) == "SWWWSSS" then
					map:set_tile(xx,yy,134) -- river west-north
				elseif string.format("%s%s%s",string.sub(AreaAquatic,2,3),string.sub(AreaAquatic,4,6),string.sub(AreaAquatic,7,8)) == "WSSWWSS" then
					map:set_tile(xx,yy,135) -- river north-east
				elseif string.format("%s%s%s",string.sub(AreaAquatic,2,3),string.sub(AreaAquatic,4,6),string.sub(AreaAquatic,7,8)) == "SSWWSSW" then
					map:set_tile(xx,yy,136) -- river west-south
				elseif string.format("%s%s%s",string.sub(AreaAquatic,1,2),string.sub(AreaAquatic,4,6),string.sub(AreaAquatic,8,9)) == "SSSWWWS" then
					map:set_tile(xx,yy,137) -- river south-east
				elseif string.sub(AreaAquatic,1,6) == "SSSSWS" then
					map:set_tile(xx,yy,141)--141
				elseif string.sub(AreaAquatic,4,9) == "SWSSSS" then
					map:set_tile(xx,yy,140)--140
				elseif string.format("%s%s%s",string.sub(AreaAquatic,1,2),string.sub(AreaAquatic,4,5),string.sub(AreaAquatic,7,8)) == "SSSWSS" then
					map:set_tile(xx,yy,139)--139
				elseif string.format("%s%s%s",string.sub(AreaAquatic,2,3),string.sub(AreaAquatic,5,6),string.sub(AreaAquatic,8,9)) == "SSWSSS" then
					map:set_tile(xx,yy,138)--138	
				elseif string.format("%s%s",string.sub(AreaAquatic,1,2),string.sub(AreaAquatic,4,5)) == "SSSW" then
					map:set_tile(xx,yy,130)--130
				elseif string.format("%s%s",string.sub(AreaAquatic,2,3),string.sub(AreaAquatic,5,6)) == "SSWS" then
					map:set_tile(xx,yy,131)--131
				elseif string.format("%s%s",string.sub(AreaAquatic,4,5),string.sub(AreaAquatic,7,8)) == "SWSS" then
					map:set_tile(xx,yy,129)--129
				elseif string.format("%s%s",string.sub(AreaAquatic,5,6),string.sub(AreaAquatic,8,9)) == "WSSS" then
					map:set_tile(xx,yy,128)--128
				end
			end
		end
	end
end
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Ah we'll I can use it for EFTV I guess.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

just posted a new version (104): can how hit shift-g (instead of alt-g) to do a contiguous fill/tile replacement

before:
maped1.PNG
after:
maped2.PNG

also if you didn't download this year's previous version, you should get this one as it is now (as of last version) rather stable and much less prone to crash (tho I have had it crash when middle mouse dragging)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

OCH!!! I gotta wait til Tuesday when library opens. This looks pretty amazing.

Middle mouse button for dragging? Hmmm I overlooked this in the manual.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Wow - Thanks for the update Max!!!

Just found this old blog about old 2D Ultima styled maps from various sources, e.g. U8, Zelda and Middle Earth.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

4,096 x 4,096 damn I forgot how big u4 continent was. Shiiiiit. What were these redrawn with. I'm still navigating the link by someone's phone.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

nah it wasn't that big ...
Bugbo
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Bugbo »

Keighn wrote:4,096 x 4,096 damn I forgot how big u4 continent was. Shiiiiit. What were these redrawn with. I'm still navigating the link by someone's phone.
From what i remember the maps were 256 x 256 tiles. But if you actually draw out the 16X16 tiles for each square though that increases the size dramatically. Good thing they weren't using high res 32X32 tiles!