maped thread - now even more difficult to use than ever

Moderator: EUO Moderators

eggmceye
hello

maped thread - now even more difficult to use than ever

Post by eggmceye »

This is the thread for maped Q&A and updates when I get around to them!

http://euotopia.com/files/maped.zip - updated April, 2023(v116)

Where do I start?
The manual.
http://euotopia.com/manual/index.php/Maped_Introduction start here
http://euotopia.com/manual/index.php/Maped_Controls keys are here
http://euotopia.com/manual/index.php/Category:Maped the rest is here

An approximate list of features that are new or you didn't know about ( from this year )
- Maped tries to set its window size nearly as big as your monitor: can be disabled by editing maped.cfg and setting autosize=0
- offscreen tiles are shaded in grey and there is a huge pink rectangle around the entire map so you know what bit of the map is offscreen
- support for regions - they get their own post below
- keep hitting i because items are separated into usable, nonusable and arms/armour
- you can now specify any screen res you like, for those with huge monitors ... edit your maped.cfg and put the following lines in

Code: Select all

resx=1600
resy=1000
of course put what ever you like in instead of just 1600x1000 - whatever is appropriate for your monitor

You can even get near fullscreen borderless window!
1) close maped
2) edit maped.cfg
3) set fullscreen=0
4) set resx=1920 (where 1920 is your desktop_width)
5) set resy=1040 (where 1040 is your desktop_height - taskbar_height: for win7 it is 1080-40)
6) set autosize=0
7) save
8) run maped

changes from 2007-2008 that were tucked away in the readme:
* ctrl-r - reload a level, w/o saving - useful only for when scripts are attached to a random level
* shift-v - toggle euo player view on and off - ie only shows tiles that are visible from the center of screen
* shift-x - load the parent level, to simulate leaving a town
* space - traverse ladder/level at the orange square
* - / + = keys: adjust sight radius for when you are in player view mode - leave at default as this is what euo client uses
* 0-9 keys - select paint set
* press ctrl-L to reload config - for reloading paintsets, see below

placing items
This is a big change no one knows about really, so it gets a big pink header. if you put an item (eg brazier) on a map, you don't have to worry ever about someone stealing it. That is because normally, in maped, when placing an item, it is flagged as being 'furniture'. A furniture item is locked to the map and can't even be taken by a DM.

The only exceptions to this are fountains, and switches, but you can't steal them anyway. Again, maped should do the worrying for you.

So for you old school map makers, don't worry about hooks anymore, except if you want to make a sign out of a brass plate for example.

Setting the offmap default tiles:
While setting the top left corner tile will work to set the offscreen borders, you can now
specify different tiles for each N, S, E W offscreen areas. Just paint a tile offscreen to set
that whole area to that tile. Does not work on continent flagged maps (since they wrap).

Paintsets:
You can specify a set of tiles to use randomly when creating a new map. This is nice for automatically adding variation to terrain. Edit maped.cfg: see the lines:

Code: Select all

paintset1=32x30,42,176,39,63
paintset2=46x30,31,52
Paint set 1, selected with key 1, will paint random dirt tiles. paint set 2 will paint random grass tiles. You can
change the paintsets to any tile combo you want. The format is:

paintsetX=TILExQTY,TILExQTY,...

X is the paint set num
TILE is the tile number, from maped
QTY is the how common it is - you can put a high number to make a tile more likely to paint, eg plain dirt or grass

if QTY is 1 then you can leave out the x1, eg

paintset3=46x1,32x1

is the same as

paintset3=46,32

Once done editing, save maped.cfg. If Maped is open, hit ctrl-l to reload the config. Then set your brush size to huge (with [ and ] ) and away you go.

Attached scripts to maps
This is how silvenguard tower, farimond dungeon, lava caves are generated - just ask rusty :cool:

Attaching scripts to spawners
if you want to make a miniboss, or give a spawned mob a name, or make him phat or large or good aligned instead of evil, you need a script attached to your spawner.

just look at this fucking post!! :rage: :cry:
Last edited by eggmceye on Sat May 20, 2023 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: version 116
eggmceye
hello

Re: maped thread - now even more difficult to use than ever

Post by eggmceye »

Regions
In order to make metamaps look like distinct maps in the minimap, when using a peergem, white pot and blinking, maps are now divided into regions. A region is a single rectangular area or a area made up of rectangles and each region has a different number associated with it, starting at 1. 0 is the default region. Putting regions in maps is optional, and is actually not advised for non-metamapped maps, and if you don't know what you are doing.

maped keys for regions
- hit alt-n to select your active region number
- alt-e to show/hide regions - they are on by default
- e sets the region top left corner
- E (shfit-e) sets the bottom right corner, and if 'e' was used correctly, a region will be instantly created.
- alt-f will delete the region that your mouse is hovering over

constructing regions
- individual region blocks are rectangles, but most actual regions will be some other weird shape. see below:
maped1.gif
see the blue region? that is made up from 2 rectangles. we all know this map - and you know how conceptually the blue area and the non blue area are distinct

now have a look at this more complex example:
maped2.gif
Each coloured area is a different region. If you look carefully, each region has it's own wall - regions should not share walls, otherwise the minimap looks ugly (that is the only ill effect).

when to use regions and when not to:
- don't use them if you don't get them - I can add them
- maps that are contiguous or not meta mapped don't need them

when to use the default zero region
- this region is uncoloured
- it counts as a region
- make this the biggest or the most complex shape!
- also make this the region that for towne style maps (type 2) the area where you can walk off the map to exit!
- region zero regions use the offscreen map tiles
- coloured regions use the tile at 0,0 to draw off-region tiles (eg if u use a peergem, you will see the tile at 0,0 for tiles not in this region)

other notes
- regions can overlap, but don't do it - because region numbering will be unexpected and it just wastes time *** (just don't do it)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Is there a way to restore the map from the link beneath ?
I have no idea how it got corrupted. Problem is that i cannot load it anymore. Mapped shows me a black screen for a second before the program closes itself.

Link to smaps.zip on drop.io

1st Edit: i added the lines starting with 12e 23 7:138 35 12:138 36 12:10e 101 etc. from a backup to my corrupted *.map file. Now i can open the map again, though some items seem to be missing. The first time i saved this file maped crashed again, but now it seems to work fine.
Can i use this file now, or is it too messed up for the game?
By me repaired *.map

2nd Edit: I just noticed that my "repaired" map-file is broken in the lower part of the map aswell.

3rd Edit: I just invested sometime into an old backup. A little bit more work and i have the old file restored.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

If we try scripts and fail horribly should we just not even bother trying? Personally, I get pretty frustrated making a map then writing out what I want certain swtiches, steps, monsters, etc to do on a notepad. I've looked at scripts Rusty has sent me and thought, "How the fuck did he come up with this so that can do that?" I swear programming has got to be the most annoying fucking thing I've attempted ever.
Last edited by Keighn on Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Well you can't really develop scripts because you can't test them because you don't have a dev server! and I'm not giving away dev servs unless I do a stripped down version everyone can have (in far future)

Scripting is relevant to maped when:
- attached to a step trigger or a switch trigger
- attached to a monster spawner to vary the spawned mob's properties (eg make it a named boss of some sort)
- attached to the map when it loads (which can do all sorts of tricks including generating the map on the fly randomly)

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2657 has a vague intro however. But I don't think scripting for EUO is the ideal way to get into programming.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I suppose I'll just attach a notepad to what I'd like to see on a map that I make at various locations. At least I got a handle on how to use regions. It is really quit easy for those of you who work on maped for leisure and fun or who actually plan on submitting.
dshadowplay
buying vamp LS of any kind +5

Post by dshadowplay »

old good info,

OSanJiri wrote:
"Okay, now, you cant land on a sancted square. If you IP in a direction and there is a sancted square in the way but an open square just beyond the sanct would the teleporting player land on that open square or would the spell fail at the sanct?"

eggmceye writes:
"You will go as far as you can, as long as it's 6 squares or under. So if the 6th square is snc and the 4th is snc, and the 5th is free, you'll land on the 5th."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Egg I have a question. On the spawners menu in maped that has all of the npc looking avatars (like all the classes for human players), can I use any of those as enemies without using scripting/coding?
Last edited by dshadowplay on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rusty76
Posting from my ass computer.

Post by Rusty76 »

dshadowplay wrote:Egg I have a question. On the spawners menu in maped that has all of the npc looking avatars (like all the classes for human players), can I use any of those as enemies without using scripting/coding?
Unfortunately no for 2 reasons: 1. They are good aligned so wouldn't attack players but would attack other monsters. 2. Their stats are very weak so they wouldn't pose much of a challenge to anyone.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

and having said that, if you must use them say so and I can inform you on how to attach a script to them to make them evil and stronger, but this is something I'd prefer not to have to do all the time.
Zzapp
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Zzapp »

I grew bored of grinding last night so i decided to try out mapd and i accidentaly used a waterfall item and i tried repacing it with stairs but everytime i move the map over it turns back into a waterfall. Whats that about?

EDIT: can you not cover up an item with a tile? is that the problem?
Rusty76

Post by Rusty76 »

Zzapp wrote:I grew bored of grinding last night so i decided to try out mapd and i accidentaly used a waterfall item and i tried repacing it with stairs but everytime i move the map over it turns back into a waterfall. Whats that about?

EDIT: can you not cover up an item with a tile? is that the problem?

items always are on top of tiles. if you want to remove the waterfall go back into item editing mode and right click it.
Zzapp
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Zzapp »

Ok i got it thanks. And another thing, Some people were sending me some maps they had made before but When i tried opening them it would load then not pull up anything so i tried to open it up with mapd and it did the same thing. How do i view other maps? i know how to put em smap so that shouldnt be a problem.
Rusty76

Post by Rusty76 »

the maps are named lvl###.map where ### is the number of the map. There are sometimes a lvl###.fea and lvl###.itm files. If the map files aren't in this format maped wont reconize them.

If the file names are right, then open maped and hit "l" and type in the map number and press enter to load it.
TheOneGuy
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by TheOneGuy »

ok i have 3 questions

1: can clan halls have evil mobs in them ? ( i konw i can place them in there but will egg let it slide

2: SPT has a wall that disapears when you hit a trigger how is this done ? is it done by putting a barrier on top of a wall?

3: how do you make town shops like banker/healer/weapon smith ...
all i want is a test server for maped then ill be happy ...
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

#2 Is probably done with a stp (step) feature with some sort of lua code attached to it. ie. Step here and x dissappears ofr x amount of time.

#1 It probably depends. I dunno why you'd want mobs in your hall to begin with. Sounds like private hunting I suppose. Perks to being in the clan.

#3 Good luck with that.
TheOneGuy
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by TheOneGuy »

i was thinking more along the lines of rats in the kitchen :) i assumed you could not make private hunting grounds in a CH

and on the trigger i am referring to is a switch trigger that is on a wall then the wall next to the trigger turns to dirt when its activated
all i want is a test server for maped then ill be happy ...
Rusty76

Post by Rusty76 »

TheOneGuy wrote:ok i have 3 questions

1: can clan halls have evil mobs in them ? ( i konw i can place them in there but will egg let it slide

2: SPT has a wall that disapears when you hit a trigger how is this done ? is it done by putting a barrier on top of a wall?

3: how do you make town shops like banker/healer/weapon smith ...
1. I imagine as long as the mob you used doesnt give good XP or drop well it would be ok. Rats would probably be fine.

2. Use a SWI feature (switch) and set it to the coordinates of the thing you want it to effect. It works on barriers, unpickable/unbashable doors and the SEC feature (secret door you have to search to reveal). When you throw a switch set to a SEC feature it reveals the secret door. This is what is done in The SPT hall that you were mentioning. The SWI might work to turn on and off other features but I haven't tried them. Make sure you put a switch item down to go with your switch feature, unless you are intending your switch to look like something else.

3. Egg has to add those. They are done outside of MapEd.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I've just posted cat's maped guide onto the wiki
http://swut.net/euo/manual/index.php/Cat's_Maped_Guide

it's still out of date as I haven't edited any of it. But manual editors might like to fix things in it as they see fit :cool:
dshadowplay
buying vamp LS of any kind +5

Post by dshadowplay »

I have a few questions on waterfall usage,

a) Will a waterfall dump you from one space above it to one space below irreguardless of the tile that it is placed on? (e.g. placed on water, grass, walls)

b) If i do place a waterfall on grass will players be able to walk through it on the waterfalls left or right sides?

c) If i place a Tel or Trd below a waterfall will it work the way i imagine it would? (like the falls to the underworld)

d) If i place a chain of waterfalls together will they drop you from the top to the bottom or will it stop inbetween?
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

dshadowplay wrote:I have a few questions on waterfall usage,

a) Will a waterfall dump you from one space above it to one space below irreguardless of the tile that it is placed on? (e.g. placed on water, grass, walls)
Yes that's right.

b) If i do place a waterfall on grass will players be able to walk through it on the waterfalls left or right sides?
Yes and underneath. But if they walk above it they're subject to the FALLS and take damage falling just below it.

c) If i place a Tel or Trd below a waterfall will it work the way i imagine it would? (like the falls to the underworld)
I'm not sure. In theory it should work.

d) If i place a chain of waterfalls together will they drop you from the top to the bottom or will it stop inbetween?
I've been wondering this myself. Will they take damage from each fall or will they just go to the very bottom. Orc desert has a huge waterfall somewhere. I think I'll check it out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.