Stat Reduction: Ditch it or Keep it

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Raiden
I'd laugh if I saw a centaur IRL

Re: Stat Reduction: Ditch it or Keep it

Post by Raiden »

mugima wrote:I would like to say ditch it....... Example, Eragon has 555 str and 555 dex at level 177, so he hasn't reached the stat reduc yet, therefore he has an unfair advantage over any other class at level 177 who didn't divide there str and dex, Odin has 687 int .... that's completely unbalanced, why do you think I quit playing Odin seriously? ....instead of a level 137 char being affected by it when a level 177 char won't be affected by it for like 20 more levels...kinda fudged up if you ask me.
Perfectly illustrated the problem imho.
Sync
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

Post by Sync »

Raiden wrote:
mugima wrote:I would like to say ditch it....... Example, Eragon has 555 str and 555 dex at level 177, so he hasn't reached the stat reduc yet, therefore he has an unfair advantage over any other class at level 177 who didn't divide there str and dex, Odin has 687 int .... that's completely unbalanced, why do you think I quit playing Odin seriously? ....instead of a level 137 char being affected by it when a level 177 char won't be affected by it for like 20 more levels...kinda fudged up if you ask me.
Perfectly illustrated the problem imho.
I second that one, Raiden. That is a PERFECT example on why it should be ditched.

Sync
Raiden

Post by Raiden »

Bump.
Magrock
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Magrock »

I am to understand the real reason for ditching it is because it otherwise is unbalanced and makes mages too weak compared to fighters?
Raiden

Post by Raiden »

I'm trying to get it nixed because the system itself is flawed. It weakens every class that relies heavily on one type of stat (rogues, mages, and certain types of fighters). All it has done has increase the frequency and amount of longsword fighters, who can be up to level 200 without being affected by the reduction. While some wizards and rogues are getting hammered shortly after level 100.

If it's going to stay, it needs to be fair. Or you could save everyone a lot of time and effort and just get rid of it.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

viewtopic.php?p=56656#p56656

also if euo has boiled down to getting levels beyond 200 then maybe you guys should be addressing the real problems in your lives - sorry for the burn
Raiden

Post by Raiden »

It's not about how many levels you get, or what you're grinding for. It's so when you DO level it's worth something. And it may hurt high levels the most, but it hurts any mage or type of player that isn't a 50/50 longsword fighter.
jumpstart
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by jumpstart »

Ditch it.
~Mario
Eidolon
I should probably get out more.

Post by Eidolon »

Its not a real life problem that a game is created that attracts you to where you want to keep getting on and playing even after years of playing. But its like what Raiden said, its when you play for 3 hrs straight or 30mins to an hour a day and after a few days you do level up that its worth something. It already felt like nothing getting 6 points to a stat, muchless not even that.

Dont get too mad or take this too offensively, but egg, why dont you try seeing how long it takes to play from level 1-200 without any DM made weapons and see for yourself how much effort and time it takes. Once the character starts to really become fun to play you start thinking how much 10 more levels can increase that. You start calculating how many stats you'll have by level XXX. And thats what makes it fun. Or get to level 200 without stat reduc on and then apply it to your char once you're good and see how much it affects the char and your attitude towards playing.

Also all 3 GMs and a DM whose opinion you obviously trust agree that its not a good feature and should be taken out. Either that or a formula to be figured out to make it fair to all classes. In all seriousness - should we be making a thread about figuring out a new formula to make it fair to all classes, or keep arguing abt this?

But in the end, like you said, its not a democracy
Raiden

Post by Raiden »

My point of view is this: this is a game, one we all play to enjoy. Yes it has its quirks, but we play it because we enjoy it, and would like to continue to enjoy it. And all of us, as players of this game, realize it is just a game, and everything must come to an end. So why can't the players just enjoy themselves and their stats to the fullest extent until end-game day comes?
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Firstly, saying "...getting levels beyond 200 then maybe you guys should be addressing the real problems in your lives" expressed a concern I have with MMORPGs (that applies to EUO) in the worst way possible so I apologise for that. It's not my job to tell you how you waste your time, and time wasted having fun isn't time wasted, someone once said.

SO I guess my point is that MMORPGs as they stand now (inc euo) are a flawed concept. I don't feel like explaining why again. Level caps and diminished stats attempt to address the flaw. There is no right or best answer.

EUO was never meant to be played beyond lvl 50 - let alone 100 or 300. It was never meant to be a MMORPG and I am kinda sorry that it is, but it probably wouldn't have lasted as long if it wasn't (ie persistant world with player levels).

To Raiden: all you do is complain - I can't remember the last time you said anything positive. The only time you talk to me is when you want something. You were the worst GM, as you only care about power, which is the only reason why you have started this.
BlackMage

Post by BlackMage »

eggmceye wrote:To Raiden: all you do is complain - I can't remember the last time you said anything positive. The only time you talk to me is when you want something. You were the worst GM, as you only care about power, which is the only reason why you have started this.
:owned:
"All things end in judgement."
Eidolon

Post by Eidolon »

Well I gotta say I'm surprised by your response and appreciate your apology.

From what I gather from your post and from when i've first started playing, you obviously didnt want euo to become a game about grinding and just attaining levels. Unfortunately, after the first 30 or 40 levels, theres not really anymore quests that are too hard to do. So after that point, the whole goal really is to meet new people and keep leveling. Either way you look at both low level characters and higher level characters, its all about getting strong (lower levels to complete harder quests) and striving after a more powerful character (higher levels learning abt the formulas and how to build a good character to get the most out of it). Basically what I'm trying to say is that euo has turned into something you didnt want.

In Raiden's defense, he's just another one of these people who has plays and enjoys playing but has already done everything there is to do (quests, hunting new places, etc). The only thing there really is TO DO is to keep partying and leveling and whatnot. It's not about only lusting for power or "complaining" when you get lots of what you worked for taken away - If you look at the first page of this whole thread it was about what Raiden made this thread for - making stat reduc BALANCED for all classes. You've spent so much time trying to balance out classes and for all that work, it was I think as close to being balanced as you could get. However once stat reduc came in, that got thrown to the wind with the flawed way its setup.

With all this said, can we PLEASE try to come up with a more FAIR way to all players of your game? Can you implement Rusty's idea and see if it works as good as he believes it will? That's what this thread has been about since the beginning, it just spiraled away from the main point.

And BM - quit being a fucking ankle biter, its seriously getting old.
omnihero
I'll be going back to Tibia next week.

Post by omnihero »

In all honesty I understand that everyone is upset that you get weaker after a certian stat point but if you think about it, it also adds a realism to the game. If you train your body to hard you also weaken it. So I vote to Keep it the way it is. I understand that yes its hard to gain mass levels...I know i'm level 46 going for 50 and it sometimes takes me a day or 2 to level up, so something should be done to increase the level up system ( and yes I am already done 90% of the quests...the rest I just can't find ), Perhaps more quests are in order when Egg gets the chance to get around to it. Maybe something to do with the rest of the stones and Codex Island. Honestly you guys do a lot of complaining for people that aren't paying for him to do all this on his own free time. Besides an RPG is about the adventure and the fun of the hunt, blasting through at a high level kinda ruins the fun of it. maybe its time to distribute your points to another stat, if thats not an option...then quit worrying about leveling up and spend some time training your other skills or maybe exploring the areas of the map you have never been to before. If you want a game where you basically control what goes on in the game and stats are better managed and don't have something to keep players from being level 999 froobs then go play runescape and pay them for membership!!!!! I sure as hell wouldn't play this game if there were level 400 mages that could literally destroy EVERYTHING in there path, or warriors that could crush mountains, or rogues that could backstab a balron for a 1 hit kill. There would be no more fun to this game. Also if you are done everything else, do what I do when I am bored on one character, Make another one from scratch maybe of a different type and start that one on the road to success. So like I said, quit whining or go play Runescape! :rebel:

This is also posted by Katrina = on the account of Vatara = we just didnt want to double post the same thing!
War isn't a game sure one side wins and one side loses..... and it's a lot of fun.... HEY!!! Maybe it is a game!!!!!
There will always be shadows and I will always be one of them!
YARG!!!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

BlackMage wrote:
:owned:
stfu and get out
omnihero
I'll be going back to Tibia next week.

Post by omnihero »

merry x-mas egg, hope your enjoying your holidays!
War isn't a game sure one side wins and one side loses..... and it's a lot of fun.... HEY!!! Maybe it is a game!!!!!
There will always be shadows and I will always be one of them!
YARG!!!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Eidolon wrote:If you look at the first page of this whole thread it was about what Raiden made this thread for - making stat reduc BALANCED
Actually it's about ditching it completely even tho he mentioned fixing it , but I see no poll option other than keep or ditch - there was no fix option. What does it matter anyway, you are already all too powerful.
VataraSei
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by VataraSei »

Thank you omni for posting my suggestions so that no one thinks that he is just saying that, Keep it or fix it one or the other, but I think for a free game you have done a great job with EUO egg!
It may have been a Cheap shot but it was the only shot I could afford!!! ( Gerrard - Magic The Gathering )
Eidolon

Post by Eidolon »

When I first saw this thread it was more of a fix it or ditch it thing. I mean obviously the vast majority took the option to ditch it completely, but I was under the assumption that it would be fixed to be a fair feature if we kept it.
Raiden wrote:I propose either a balanced stat reduction system which doesn't just kick certain types of characters in the balls (pole-arm/mace fighters & mages). Or just scrap it completely.
Rusty76
Posting from my ass computer.

Post by Rusty76 »

My idea for changing stat reduction is to reduce stats evenly based on your level and not your individual stat values. So basically after level 100 all three of your stats would be decreased by the same % which would be based on your level. The higher your level the higher the % would be. This would be fair because it effects all the stats as a whole and also doesn't give advantage to people who leveled levels at Versatility and have lower stats than what they should have for their level. My char Rusty is level 290 and is only 143 points into the stat reduction on both his strength and dexterity (743 strength and dexterity). Currently Rusty is gaining the most benefit that a character can receive given the way that stat reduction currently works because he has his stat points distributed between strength and dexterity (and 100 intelligence) and because he took 38 levels at Versatility to raise his class cap to 200%. A character that relies on a specific stat over the others will suffer more effect for their level because the stat reduction hits them harder. My mage Orko is level 147 and has a strength of 46, dexterity of 25 and an intelligence of 885+150 (1035 total). Orko's intelligence is 435 points into the stat reduction and as a result has an effective intelligence score of 929 (106 points less that his actual intelligence) So this basically means that Orko at level 147 is being effected more by stat reduction than Rusty at level 290. I believe that this goes against the idea that was intended when stat reduction was implemented. So if stat reduction was based on character level and not individual stats it would be fair to all classes because it does not effect classes that focus on a single stat more than classes that require balanced stats.