Stat Reduction: Ditch it or Keep it

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Raiden
I'd laugh if I saw a centaur IRL

Stat Reduction: Ditch it or Keep it

Post by Raiden »

For any of you who might not know; there is a feature implemented into the game which reduces a stat point's value past 600. And once you reach 600 in said stat, each level thereafter is reduced in effectiveness, so you get less bang for your buck. This, in my opinion, is crap, to put it gently.

I will use my character for example, a mage, the class which is hit hardest by this reduction.
My character has 1424 base intelligence, and hence should receive 1424 mana, but I receive 1150 mana instead.
I propose either a balanced stat reduction system which doesn't just kick certain types of characters in the balls (pole-arm/mace fighters & mages). Or just scrap it completely.

The DITCH IT Section
-Everyone is stronger, and thus happier
-Strong characters have no drawbacks on the game
-The ability to gain strength could increase player-base
-Stronger players means more revenue (ava's, named weapons, houses)
- It's just a plain pain in the butt, and makes you not want to play/level
- Makes enjoying your character difficult, when maximum potential is locked away

The KEEP IT Section *with counterpoints
-Stronger players means more work and development
*Wrong, a large percent of the development is player derived anyway (maps, tiles,etc), so happier players, means more development
-Other reasons I cant come up with....

All support and input is appreciated. My personal vote is, ditch it, what you do guys think?
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Re: Stat Reduction: Ditch it or Keep it

Post by Keighn »

I say ditch it.
ZUPS!!!!
Rusty76
Posting from my ass computer.

Post by Rusty76 »

ditch it
kusofthevalley
I used to bake rockcakes in my bakery.

Post by kusofthevalley »

I agree with stat reduction. The arguements are here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3132
Ugrog, EleganceBlade, Zelephereth, Polyphemus, Richard, LordHighgate, Quentin, Valley, ad infinitum
Eidolon
I should probably get out more.

Post by Eidolon »

I vote ditching it for a couple reasons all having to do with wasting time:

1. Rogues are my favorite class. I dont want to waste my time making another one to get the full effect of my levels til i hit 600 stats again.
2. Leveling feels like a complete waste of time because as I level and get stronger, I'm only getting closer and closer to not reaping anything for my work at leveling. If you dont believe its work, try leveling a nonmage character (just much more tedious as a non mage) past level 200+.
3. Gaming is already a waste of time, its basically just something enjoyable to do to blow through your time. Why would I want to continue playing if I literally keep getting less and less out of the time I put into it.

Imho its a slap in the face of the people who've "worked hard" if you can call it that to try to reach maximum potential of their characters.

All this is pretty much 90% of the reason I decided to stop getting on to actually play anymore than like 30 minutes a week, and thats just to talk to people on here I'm friends with. Actually playing the game has become completely out of the question for me almost solely because of this great stat reduction feature.
Turtle
Good morning, Captain.

Post by Turtle »

Make a lvl cap (150 or 200) and after that, make PVP on mandatory, and only gain XP from PKs. THAT would make things interesting.

Make a PK leaderboard.
Eidolon

Post by Eidolon »

Theres a very small chance this will get read and anything be done about it. If you have an idea please put it in the correct thread.

This thread is about removing or keeping stat reductions and opinions on it, thats it.

Interesting idea though.
Sync
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

Post by Sync »

I agree with Raiden. Though he can be a pain in the ass, like myself and others included, that's not fair to him.

At low levels, if you have 500 intelligence, you have 500 mana. That's not fair to high level people. It does not affect me though, yet. He has 1400+ intelligence, he deserves 1400+ mana.

Raiden's point on Mace Fighters, I agree that would be a problem for them as well. They have a 100% strength to 0% dexterity. If that person gets to 600 strength, every level after that is not worth training for.

Foils as well. They are 100% dexterity, 0% strength. If that person reaches 600 dexterity, they are done. Granted, they can train something else other than foils, but if they want to be pure in it, it will become a problem in the long run for them.

Raiden also mentioned polearms. That can be a problem too, but with the 25% dexterity and 75% strength, it's not as bad of a problem. Still can be an issue though. If you keep it at 75%-25%, and you hit 600 strength, you have about 175(give or take) dexterity. The dexterity has not maxed out like the strength has, therefore throwing the fighter off.

I vote to ditch it, but that's just me.
Turtle
Good morning, Captain.

Post by Turtle »

Sorry Eidolon, I was trying to offer that as an alternative, AKA a "ditch it".
Sync

Post by Sync »

Turtle, there used to be a level 200 cap. Egg took it off.

PvP was not mandatory( :dance: ), but there was a cap that you was talking about.
stegos
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by stegos »

Raiden wrote:All ... input is appreciated. My personal vote is, ditch it, what you do guys think?
I say keep it, but also keep in mind none of my chars are > level 100, so I have yet to be personally hit by the stat redux.

Does Maeondir have new shrines for more HP, Mana, and Stat Cap?
- the true heart of ultima... is virtues and all that hippie crap - eggmceye, 2-jul-04
- Sorry would be the day that Stegos does not have some ideas, even bad ones. - me, 26-oct-05
- K goin back 2 Erth now ... - Morthwyl's Dino, 27-nov-07
- Level-up tax - the BEST gold sink! - me, 9-jan-09
- Stegos said it best... - Akyla, 21-sep-04
Turtle
Good morning, Captain.

Post by Turtle »

Another idea, this time for voting to keep it:

Make stat/lvl decay. This is realistic... just like if you work out, you'll eventually max out your muscle mass. If you stop, you'll lose it and can gain it back again. Additionally, you have to work out in order to maintain your muscle mass.

I was thinking maybe 1 lvl/week? Maybe apply it only if you don't gain a lvl that week.
Bugbo
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Bugbo »

> I was thinking maybe 1 lvl/week? Maybe apply it only if you don't gain a lvl that week.

If you do that it would have to go buy time logged in, not real time.
Otherwise somebody might have to leave for a year and come back to find their uber character all withered.
Onyxt
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Onyxt »

I personally dislike the stat reduc, I honestly dont see the point of leveling when I get less than I earned. So I say ditch it.
Raiden
I'd laugh if I saw a centaur IRL

Post by Raiden »

Once again, all support and input is appreciated, but this thread is about DITCHING or KEEPING the reduction, not anything else. Alternatives should be posted elsewhere.
Grodst
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by Grodst »

Ditch it. But provide more ideas and maps.

The snide comment about "most" dev and ideas coming from playerbase is not true or helpful to your point.

EUO keeps getting new and harder things for us to do. Thus, higher and stronger lvl players are needed for the newer content.
Making Enchants the right way: one noob after another tossed into the lava.
L1ndaP
Good morning, Captain.

Post by L1ndaP »

I say ditch it, too. I really see no purpose in that or the level cap, just let people play to their hearts content. New players have to option to get there, too, someday.
Kendal Kaelyn Stryker
Magrock
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Magrock »

Keep it if we are not going to have the level cap back again.
Sync

Post by Sync »

Magrock wrote:Keep it if we are not going to have the level cap back again.

Care to explain why you vote that Mag?

Sync
BlackMage

Post by BlackMage »

Raiden wrote:Once again, all support and input is appreciated, but this thread is about DITCHING or KEEPING the reduction, not anything else. Alternatives should be posted elsewhere.
Can you not read Sync? :roll:
"All things end in judgement."