ships questions

Moderator: EUO Moderators

eggmceye
hello

ships questions

Post by eggmceye »

some ship details:
The ships that are coming soon will work as they do now: 1 pilot, many passengers, pilot creates ship and drives it. If pilot leaves then one of the passengers becomes new pilot, etc - pilot retains ship in bottle - pilot can dupe ships this way (not a big deal really).

One day, not soon, I will make different ship types with diff nums of guns, speed, passengers etc.

New: ships get 1000hp and will absorb all damage, and when they are at 0hp they will sink, with crew being cast afloat.

While I'm just finishing off the tricky shit I need to worry about some broader questions on ships so I thought I'd get some opinions:

Are we still going to use ship in bottle? (at least for time being) - yes probably, but suggestions considered
How often can ship in bottle be used? Can it be used if ship destroyed (maybe delay) - maybe no delay if testing
Can wood working skill be used to repair ship? Or should I not bother at this stage, considering all crafts are getting overhauled sooner or later.
Sell ships at a ship yard for something like 1mil? - or how are ppl going to get ships? Should they be freely available like mounts? Or buildable out of 10k logs :/ - I dunno.
Heikki
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by Heikki »

Asking huge amount of gold is always good way to make EUO economy better...
I think: More gold away from players = better economy.

Maybe even gold AND logs ;)
Reg Heikki, Pyttipannu, Nappo
PD Soturi R.I.P , Taikuri, Rosvo

Joke of day:
A skeleton walks into a bar - orders a beer and a mop
Heniek
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Heniek »

eggmceye wrote:Are we still going to use ship in bottle? (at least for time being)
Would it be possible to just store ships in shipyard? Something similiar to bank or container but for ships only(accessible via proper NPC in harbor). That would allow people to have more than one ship, which might be useful someday, when there will more than one ship type. Only problem is, what will happen when player will logout when ship is not in shipyard; in that case, ship after some time would be transfered to a harbor, and if player would want to use it after that, he would need to pay "transport tax" for crew of harbor for hauling his ship.
eggmceye wrote:Sell ships at a ship yard for something like 1mil?
I think it's a good idea. Good money sink, and if they would be expensive, people would care about their ships.
eggmceye wrote:Can wood working skill be used to repair ship?
Why not. Player would be able to either repair it on his own(high woodcrafting and lot of logs needed), or just pay at shipyard for repair.
It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious.

Heniek, Macros, Reptile [reg]
Undertow, Macros, Khelavaster, Reptile, Burn [PD]
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Heikki wrote:Asking huge amount of gold is always good way to make EUO economy better...
I think: More gold away from players = better economy.

Maybe even gold AND logs ;)
Agreed! Money sinks are essential. I could agree on the logs as well, unless you are going to be making a skill called shipbuilding (an offshoot of woodcrafting). If you decide to have ships that can be built or bought you might consider making the Ship in a Bottle a rare artifact.

I haven't toyed with the ships very much but do they stay on the map when noone is aboard? If they do how long before they disappear? I'd hate to see the Ultima 2 syndrome appear (there was a bug where you could clone ships off of pirates assuming you had blue tassels. Eventually you could make bridges across the oceans or even fill the entire place up with boats which was ridiculous. It wasn't until ultima 3 that whirlpool came around and could swallow boats, thus destroying them).
ZUPS!!!!
poply
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

Re: ships questions

Post by poply »

first of all: multiple wood types would be cool. such as oak,ash and silverleaf ships! geting things like +2 or +3 night vision for ash ship, +200hp for oak ship and... i dont know about the silver ship... maybe more gold cast or something.

second of all: I think ship building skill would be cool. but it would need to be hard! if there are going to be more ship types and tints for ships then it would make since for a ship building skill and not just woodcrafting. i think you should need to reach max or high level in woodcrafting to make ship parts to build the ships with. this makes it hard to get ships and it can take a lot of wood/nails/other stuff thus keeping a good market on them! i dont know about the "failed to make a ship" think though :abject:
spoiled
Sync

Post by Sync »

eggmceye wrote:some ship details:
The ships that are coming soon will work as they do now: 1 pilot, many passengers, pilot creates ship and drives it. If pilot leaves then one of the passengers becomes new pilot, etc - pilot retains ship in bottle - pilot can dupe ships this way (not a big deal really).

One day, not soon, I will make different ship types with diff nums of guns, speed, passengers etc.

New: ships get 1000hp and will absorb all damage, and when they are at 0hp they will sink, with crew being cast afloat.

While I'm just finishing off the tricky shit I need to worry about some broader questions on ships so I thought I'd get some opinions:

Are we still going to use ship in bottle? (at least for time being) - yes probably, but suggestions considered
How often can ship in bottle be used? Can it be used if ship destroyed (maybe delay) - maybe no delay if testing
Can wood working skill be used to repair ship? Or should I not bother at this stage, considering all crafts are getting overhauled sooner or later.
Sell ships at a ship yard for something like 1mil? - or how are ppl going to get ships? Should they be freely available like mounts? Or buildable out of 10k logs :/ - I dunno.
(LOOK AT THE RED HIGHLIGHTS)

Seriously?? Think about that one folks. I know more money is good, but pilots can dupe and get 100-200 of them with a friend, and then sell and split the money?? I would love that kind of money, but that's a little over board. I would rethink that one. No offense though. :roll:

Sync
Last edited by Sync on Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eidolon
I should probably get out more.

Post by Eidolon »

You should think before you post

He means duping as in someone else can control the ship. That doesnt mean they get a ship in a bottle in their inventory and then can go ahead and sell it and cheese euo and dupe millions of gp.

jesus christ
Sync

Post by Sync »

The way it is worded, it looks like the pilot will get on, someone else gets on, the pilot gets off... that "someone else" now has there own ship.

That's what I thought he was talking about when he said "duping".

Excuse me.

Sync
ChrisCooper

Post by ChrisCooper »

Yeah, that one confused me at first too. I do have one question about the ships though.

Are they supposed to nullify magic? Because they definitely do. I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing though. Any other class can sink a ship no problem, but I see mages complaining that there's something that they can't easily destroy in pvp, in the future.
I'm here to kick ass, and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of bubblegum.
ChrisCooper

Post by ChrisCooper »

Here's an interesting idea. Houseboats, maybe?

By the sound of it (and I hope this is the case) ships are going to be very hard to buy/make. After you've obtained your ship, why not give ships their own maps (after paying egg the normal fee for player housing) that counts as the original captain's house?
Sync

Post by Sync »

ChrisCooper wrote:Here's an interesting idea. Houseboats, maybe?

By the sound of it (and I hope this is the case) ships are going to be very hard to buy/make. After you've obtained your ship, why not give ships their own maps (after paying egg the normal fee for player housing) that counts as the original captain's house?

Not being a bitch about this, but you should post this under the "Things you would like to see in EUO 1.3" thread. And yes, a houseboat would be cool.

Sync
ChrisCooper

Post by ChrisCooper »

This is a thread about boats. A work in process. Rather post it in this thread to where it'll actually be read, rather than the suggestion thread where it probably won't be given any attention at all.
Zilverlight
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Zilverlight »

Chris is right. This would be the place to post that idea. I was actually about to suggest the same thing.

I like the ship in harbor idea. Maybe to add onto that idea, a ship can press space next to the docks of a city, ad it would load them a map of a dockyard where your ship is attached to the dockyard and the actual ship (the tiles inside the ship) are showing. This way, players who purchase a ship house would be able to maintain their house without being on the continent while changing tiles or whatever. t's kinda a rough draft, but I hope you get the concept of what I'm trying to say.

If ship housing gets put in, players should have a ship first before being able to buy the ship house (otherwise, players can purchase the house and get the ship without going through what everyone else does.)

I do think, that with high level woodcrafting, you should be able to repair ships. If your ship is completely destroyed, you have to repair it from 100% damage, this way players can maintain their ships (could require you to be docked to repair the ship)

Tinted ships aren't a bad thought, maybe oak ships sail faster and have 15% more hp, ebony ships have 50% more hp, ash ships + NV, and silverweave... I'm stumped on this one too.

Being Immune to magic could be a + for ships. Ships are very restricted in the sense of firing back, they can only shoot off their sides (and it's not too easy navigating ships). And mages can just run inland to escape being fired upon. However, being competely magic resistant is too much. A fighter or rogue or even another mage with some stronger mage attacking them could just jump into a ship and wouldn't hav to worry about it. Thus, I think VF should still be able to affect ships. Being as it's a fire spell, it should be able to burn the ship (not cause additional damage) but this would still allow mages to fight back. (Besides, doesn't make since, the mage attacks the SHIP, not really the crew on it. So XC or "KILL" can't really affect wood that is already dead. Maybe other spells such as GP and OG/VOG can also affect the ship, (being as they don't target live beings) So, practically the same immunity as undead have (with the exception of VOG not bouncing off everyone inside.))

As for still using ship in a bottle, I don't think we should. (What? Do we take the ship out of the bottle, hop on it, and sail into the horizon?? Just weird...) With the dockyard idea, you build your ship on the docks and you never have to have an actual item.

There should be a door on the ship at the plank, so that players who pay for the house on the ship can have a key to it if they wish. (If they didn't pay for the house, the door wouldn't be locked.) There would also be a smaller dock (probably the continent dock tile) inside the city that you can stand on, press space, and enter the player docks. Each dock would have 5-10 spots (larger ports holding more) so you can hold multiple ships. (When you log, your ship is removed from the port.)(I can see this becoming a problem when lots of people start to own ships, and when a mass of players who DO own them decide to play at the same time.) Players' ships that are docked will read "<Playername>'s ship" when you step across the plank into their ship. That way you'll know which one is yours.

Just some ideas...
Desmond (AKA: Rurik)
BlackMage
I should probably get out more.

Post by BlackMage »

Please excuse sync and his retarded comments. He's currently failing at life and is just itching to piss everyone else off.
"All things end in judgement."
Sync

Post by Sync »

BlackMage wrote:Please excuse sync and his retarded comments. He's currently failing at life and is just itching to piss everyone else off.
I have done nothing wrong. Stupid ass comments like that is why people don't like you. I said that to Van because that would be something to come out in EUO 1.3. Yes, it concerns boats, and that it was this thread is about. But a "house boat" has nothing to do with making ships, and sailing them. Thank you captain. Now, stfu and leave me alone.

Sync
Zilverlight
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Zilverlight »

Title of thread = "ship questions"

In this thread, egg is asking for any questions reguarding ships as well as any ideas on what they will be like when they are added.

House Boats would be part of the ship addition. If you think about it, half the posts (if not all) in the DEVELOPEMENT part of the forums should go to the 1.3 thread. They're here for ideas about how to develope the thoughts into something that CAN be put into 1.3.

"Think before you speak"
Desmond (AKA: Rurik)
poply

Post by poply »

i good thought is one type of ship that can only fire from the front but it has less HP then other ships.

house boats... people lived on ships for months at a time... so i don't see why its much different from a big slow ship anyway
spoiled
VataraSei
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by VataraSei »

I personally like the idea of house boats ( though at this time I could never afford the boat :oops: ) and also I wonder that if we own a boat could you store A pet on it...Like the stable idea, it would still only be able to store one pet but it would allow you to have one more pet, Just an idea. I do think the cost is about right though and it should cost a lot of wood but on top of that I love the idea of a new ship building skill, the essentials being you have to have 100% ship building to build the ship, how do you raise it, making masts, sails, the cabin, side boards, crows nest. all small parts of the ship. Then at 100% you have enough knowledge of the ship to actually build one, not just be able to build one period.
It may have been a Cheap shot but it was the only shot I could afford!!! ( Gerrard - Magic The Gathering )
HyStErIcAl
Location: Gin Gin, Queensland, Australia, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe 342?

Post by HyStErIcAl »

Maybe silverweave has stronger cannons? I don't know what else to put as silver affects undead, and where would you need it for then. Also .. maybe you can "Make" cannonballs so people don't just sit outside Nordhaven and mass cannonballs at people fishing, hanging out, going for res sickness etc. So they would be made out of, iron and made with a special cast that you can buy from the shipyard, 1 iron ingot = 4 cannonballs . the pilot must have cannonballs in his/her inventory before being able to fire.

And, what about ship upgrades? like you can add more cannons for a faster fire or more sails for a better speed or for a very expensive price. Cannons that sit at the front and back of the boat. (like on pirates of the Caribbean 2) :D just throwing out ideas
-.-
Blackthorn
I'll be going back to Tibia next week.

Post by Blackthorn »

HyStErIcAl wrote:Maybe silverweave has stronger cannons? I don't know what else to put as silver affects undead, and where would you need it for then.
Maybe a new sea monster is in order -- the "ghost ship" like some kind of undead pirate ship so silverleaf ships are more effective against something.