a pd server with regular wipes, and a ladder, and prizes

Moderator: EUO Moderators

eggmceye
hello

a pd server with regular wipes, and a ladder, and prizes

Post by eggmceye »

This reply was originally typed up for the 'should pd be wiped thread' which is a dog's breakfast.

I don't want to start any rumours, so let's keep the discussion tight and not beyond this forum. This is a newish idea, and there is a lot of vested interest in PD as it is now, eg tyler with his humungous char and other ppl who have paid a LOT of money to keep their guys alive.

j0int wrote:i acualy think pd should be wiped and wiped once a year and the top ten players should get some kind of prize
Actually it would be more interesting if it was wiped (ie reset) monthly or at longest quarterly ...

Sometimes this is how I feel reg should run too. Not all the time. There could be a huge debate on the theories of all this (I spend a lot of time thinking about this sort of thing) and there isn't really a right or wrong answer. Sorry to bring up wiping reg, let's not talk about it, as it ISN'T going to happen.

Anyway, It's the people off the scoreboard who tend to want pd to be wiped, for the obvious reason they want to get on the scoreboard. But j0int's 'idea' (actually diablo 2 has been running a ladder for years, and I have been thinking about this myself) makes me wonder about having PD reset regularly, with a scoreboard & prizes.

Also with wipes, game design becomes more interesting. There is less reason to grind. Drops could be much better. There could be rare game changing items - what about permanent transmutation? Much could be lifted from roguelikes, now that PD is not only perm death, but limited to time - so there really is an end, one way or another.
egg wrote: Then there is the big prob of bought res stones, I don't have a record of who bought what. I'd assume there wouldn't be many though. Magrock has a shitload of stones. And what about bought res's - ion just paid a fair amount for a res for example.
I could probably negotiate this with whoever has stones, I don't there would be that many at the moment who have bought stones still.
However, if the top 10 people on the scoreboard unanimously post for a wipe then I will do so.
Again I could probably negotiate this with these players.
Eidolon
I should probably get out more.

Post by Eidolon »

Well the biggest part of the idea seems to be the "ladder" system of Diablo 2. Only thing is .. wtf is a ladder system? X-)

I guess I'm a sheltered gamer.
TheCrusher
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by TheCrusher »

Here's my 2 cents

I'll start off by saying I'd like to keep the original PD server intact, but to include a regular clean pd server as well, borrowing some from the "Diablo 2 ladder sytem" which basically, I think, should go down something like this:

There is a new server called Ladder PD, or LPD where once every month or three months it gets restarted. however, the chars from that server do not get deleted, but instead moved to the original PD server.

LPD server unique qualities:
Faster exp gain - from 10x to 15x
Better drop rate - from 1/30 chance of a boss(i think?) to 1/20
Faster spawn rate - faster spawn to cut down on arguing for spots
Ladder only drops - artifacts and some other neat stuff to take back to original pd with you and hold over their heads
Spells / skills - perhaps a new spell and skill only obtainable from playing the ladder
Prizes for top ranks - this could go down a couple ways,
1. get prizes in gold, items, an exp boost, or some other cool crap before you get sent with back to regular PD
2. the prize of being top 10 or so is that you get your character sent to original PD, instead of being deleted

Gotta go - try to finish thoughts in a little bit
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

other ideas:
each month could have a theme: ie scoreboard is ranked not purely on xp but by other things: eg xp + white dragons killed ... or some formula thereof. It could change every month, just to keep things interesting.
BlackMage
I should probably get out more.

Post by BlackMage »

After playing PD again for some time (moreso than reg here lately), I must admit, I'd be rather upset if there was a wipe. I finally got 1 out of 20 characters to remort, and it was very exciting (lame I know), but after losing 20 other chars, getting one to the point of being able to remort was quite an accomplishment.

I do like the idea of having a "super PD" thing, where you can hold contests and what not with it. And then the "winner" could have their character passed on to the "reg pd" server as a prize.

But, I am only one person in a pool of people that would be "casting their vote" for it. If it gets wiped then, so be it.
"All things end in judgement."
Grodst
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by Grodst »

I'm for it.

Not sure I'd want 2 PD servers, tho the idea of having that in itself being a reward has many possibilities. How about no more new accounts/alts on current PD unless they win one of the timed competitions on new PD?
Wipe all players yet to remort w/o stones from reg PD? 30 days later, wipe all who haven't remorted. Both could be options down the road.
Making Enchants the right way: one noob after another tossed into the lava.
Grodst
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by Grodst »

Wonderful. Killed another thread.
Making Enchants the right way: one noob after another tossed into the lava.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I'd prefer to just have the one server but it's quite hard twisting tyler's arm such that he agrees with me :cow:

Also this is all very low priority at the moment!
Catherine
English correct bastard.

Post by Catherine »

My PD char (who went -> remort using "survival" rules - i.e. using only found stuff, no towne / player stuff at all, and so on) found a few stones. I'm guessing they're gone now though.

I always thought buy-backs were a bit of a cheese (akin to binding CTRL+Q) on PD, but I see the appeal from Egg's direction. ($ for the server never hurt anyone). PD + NG rules on skill gain + no item xferring (you could still buy spells etc, but everything dropped is perma-hooked until decay) would be kinda fun. Does anyone still play NG? I had fun there, but it was relatively (aka totally) unpopulated back when I played it - and I abused the using a cartography map to get max int horribly on all my chars there.

Sometimes EUO is best "quick n dirty" - once you've got the hang of it, surviving past 100 isn't so hard, and playing "survival" is much like EUO-nethack style. Then again... evil bunnies, evil bunnies. A quick way to do it would be to replace the NG server with a "PD hardcore" one with wipes / leader board, ramp up drops etc. e.g. Most monsters killed / fornight etc. Then again, with perma-PD (no stones / buybacks) and survival rules, you might have not to wipe that often; a lot of PD chars got great enchants etc made by crafting alts (totally safe from harm).

p.s.

Sorry for the necro :P
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I'm really surprised how "survival" or my suggested name "LOTL = Living off the Land" had been popular; at least for a little while. If you search google you can even find it used in a few other games.
eggmceye wrote:other ideas:
each month could have a theme: ie scoreboard is ranked not purely on xp but by other things: eg xp + white dragons killed ... or some formula thereof. It could change every month, just to keep things interesting.
I think a server with a limited amount of time would be pretty neat (I don't play pd or NG anymore due to my damn connection always locking my comp up playing euo, but hey still good idea). Monthly would be best IMHO. That way you could implement a "Montly Theme."

Prizes? Well, I think anytime someone wants a character transferred it could send up red flags (though to the normal pd that isn't much of a problem). Other prizes could be something akin to a "Golden ticket" to see Eggy Mceyes Easter Egg Factory. I kid, but perhaps some sort of trophy prize to hand to that account via the reg server. It could be something mundane like the Xmas gifts or maybe it does something more. I'd think that the prize itself or a Scoreboard With the top winner would be enough.

I do think that scoring should be a tad different if you're going by a winner each month. Obviously, the winner will be at the top of the scoreboard for that month followed by a # representing the number of times he's won the Timed PD Server.

i.e.
Rush ..................... 3 (this months winner)
Tyler .................... 11
General Lee ............ 5
Mr. T..................... 5
Bambi ................... 4
George Bush .......... 2
Twiki .................... 1
Zorro .................... 1

Ties are just set in alphabetical order.

Unless you want to figure out some more obscure scoring system.
ZUPS!!!!
wishIwasDM
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Re: a pd server with regular wipes, and a ladder, and prizes

Post by wishIwasDM »

I think with reg, new players are automatically crushed when they get to level 30 and see how impossible it is for them to even get near the scoreboard, then they go to PD. Once again, near impossible. NG (does anyone even play that anymore) used to have an ok playerbase, and was prone to wipes -- people still played it. NG died with the release of the current PD server.

Turning NG into a one life(or multi life, but for some reason the old PD days just appeal more to me) with good drops is exactly what I think EUO needs. Take a break from the one level every few days and add more competitiveness, which in essence is what fuels EUO and every other ongoing RPG with a scoreboard. Milestones would be a necessity/add [wealth] to the scoreboard to track players gold, as it should be what they have been able to do in the month -- starting from absolute scratch.

My idea of "prizes" would be allowing the players to pick one thing they could keep, and transfer it to ANOTHER server(you could do this by hand, let the players post to a topic on here if you must).
The snake only strikes when the stars are aligned.