C++

Moderator: EUO Moderators

BlackMage
I should probably get out more.

C++

Post by BlackMage »

I'm about to enroll in a Software Applications and Programming course. The main emphasis I believe is C++. So, I was wondering, (mostly directed at egg, but anyone else with lots of useful knowledge is more than welcome to bestow some upon me :D) if I could get some good pointers/tips/advice/anything you want to share about programming or C++ or anything in general?

Like I said, any help would be most appreciated. I know that everyone is busy with everything going on in the world, so I'm not demanding anything by any means. All I am asking for is maybe some useful advice? Then maybe I could even help out and throw some useful codes out there for the game! :D

Thanks again :D
"All things end in judgement."
Aristarch
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by Aristarch »

I'm not any kind of proffesional programmer and not even IT student(I should have chosen that I think :roll:), I just like coding a bit in my free time. You may find something useful in that conglomerate of sentences below :P

Do you have any former experience with any kind of programming?
I don't know about teaching methods but it might be somewhat easier if you start with C instead of C++(I first got touch with programming when I got some used Atari 65XE with a worn book that contained a chapter on languages and had only few Basic instructions explained - I don't recommend starting with Basic though!).
The course is probably a good idea, make sure if it's on some good level though - here where I live even university courses tend to be tragic. I honestly regret every minute I had to spent there.

Get a good book on the topic and read a lot of those tutorials that are plenty on Google, even though some of them are garbage.

You should also get some C/C++ environment(Dev-C++ is free and quite good) and start tinkering with every new bit of information you learn. Try coding something that interests you - ie. make a simple text character on the screen that you can move around with keys, another controlled by other set of keys, some code for hp etc. and you have a simple base you can experiment on, learning meanwhile how to process input/output, do calculations etc. without getting bored. It's good for learning if when you encounter a problem to code, you first try to solve it yourself and only look at proposed solution if your code works or you're absolutely sure you can't do that.
Foul beast approaches?!