Scripts in 1.2?

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Catherine
English correct bastard.

Scripts in 1.2?

Post by Catherine »

Are they functioning?

If so, how to call them without major Egg hassles? Is it possible to 'attach' a script to a feature trigger? Does Maped have a script box for features? e.g. I select a mob, it has a script box, <script makes mob have X properties, and only that spawn> which is called when its spawned? Likewise on all tiles / features?

Thoughts:

Pain in the behind to check - but highly desirable. If done wrong, instant potential to crash the game.

Lends itself to unique encounters. Server strain? Open to abuse - 'tee-hee, I've made this goblin have 1,000,000 HPs' -> Zzzz

If usable with hard-set features, conflicts? e.g. triggers & teleports not working at the same time.

Some seriously kinky stuff can be done. Not being too immodest, I think I've pushed the vanilla maped as hard as possible.

Examples of things I'd attempt:

Proper triggered puzzles. First off would be rocks getting hit by ranged disappearing, as a tribute to U5!
Multi - player triggered puzzles (requiring 2+ players)
Triggered mob spawning
Unique flavoured mobs - in conjunction with 2x2 tiles, bosses.
Effects based tiles - e.g. random % chance of confusion + txt spam 'Marsh gas over-comes you!' in special swamps. Lava % chance boot wear 99% etc.
Mob-chains. e.g. weak bandit NPC killed -> demon in disguise.
Timed mob behaviour - blue NPC by day, red undead / lycans at night.

And so on.

Maped with a functioning script system would pretty much demand my attention, and make me learn scripting.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I'll concur with that. Too bad there isn't a instant scrpt called sch (search) so when a person searches said spot or scripting is enabled. Even a loo (look). Activate is nice. The potentials for searching and looking could lead to finding random hidden items, reading a glyph you shouldn't have (damage or something). Mob summon. Teleportation or even instant death. Perhaps all that is already possibly.

I don't know if look or search can activate quests or not either.
ZUPS!!!!
Aristarch
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by Aristarch »

Have any of you played Blades of Avernum and seen the editor?
I dream of maped having the same degree of freedom in designing, along with scripts.
Foul beast approaches?!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I thought blades of avernum you had to buy to use their map editor. Thus, i've never had the thrill to experience it.

Rusty pointed me out to this site that has a nice map program in lua. Once I edit some tiles and put them together I'll zip up my version of a much bigger EUO first plain (just 4x4 : 1 square ratio) then one with a few tweaks.

Here's: MAPPY
ZUPS!!!!
Catherine
English correct bastard.

Post by Catherine »

Ok, here's an attempt at making a rudimentary trap.

Idea is basic - if you pull the lever out in the open, the walls (red, for ease of reference) drop down & memphits spawn. Running south (to the tile which has a bridge made on it) resets the walls, but not the mobs.

function lvl001WallTrap(id, px, py, z)

for x=10,5 do
set_and_send_new_tile(9,4,z,166)(10,4,z,166)(12,4,z,166)(13,4,z,166) -- 166 is a blue tile to replace walls
end

-- spawn Frost memphits
spawn_at(0x246,8,5,z)
spawn_at(0x246,14,5,z)
spawn_at(0x246,8,11,z)
spawn_at(0x246,14,11,z)
end

reset_trigger(8,9,z,1)

end

function lvl001WallsUp(id, x, y, z)

-- reset all tiles
-- lvl001reset(id,x,y,z) -- trying to make it so if you step on this tile, the walls close back up

This is obviously bastardised from the sample scripts, and atm I'm working without real understanding of the language, more trying to scavenge from examples given.

No idea why linking to flickr is going wrong, I'm being crap.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Re: Scripts in 1.2?

Post by Keighn »

I'm popping this back up to the top of the forum as I know some of you have been toying with lua and scripting quite a bit. Could you guys please post some examples of what you're doing. What I'd like to so is some real basic monster scripting. Show the regular monter in an example then show the scripted version below (including the script how to do it). I'd like to see some simple stuff like HP, AS, MR, XP, sight, move, morale, treasure, spells, and how to turn into undead, poison, disease, etc. Some of us have absolutely no idea how to do this. Repeated examples with some explanation of each line code would probably help.

What CAN'T you do with the coding?
Can monsters have block?
Special attacks allowed to players?

should the rest of us just give up on trying?
ZUPS!!!!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Re: Scripts in 1.2?

Post by Keighn »

For the life of me I can't find the other scripting thread. Anyway, I found this tutorial that might help me if I can get it downloaded:
Lua Editing Kit for Dummies
ZUPS!!!!