EUO TILES & AVATARS

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Grunkk
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Re: EUO TILES & AVATARS

Post by Grunkk »

k, Edited the scimitars to have a hilt, and a red ribbon, also fixed the grip.

If you think the yellow ribbon is better (Or another colour) let me know.
scimitarx2.PNG
overlay.png
Edit- HAPPY 25TH PAGE.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
On a search to find the meaning of life... Oh wait, to get to level 450!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I'd have to try both to see what color looks better. The gold might offset the purple handle better would have to see vs each tint. I still can't help but think if the blade was in reverse and edited a bit it'd look more like a falchion. I almost think the blade needs to be 1 pixel longer and thinner. Or... hmm that pixel at the very end should maybe be diagonal instead of where it is. I'll tinker around on paint and see.
Last edited by Keighn on Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I think the yellow works better but was a bit bright. I toned the yellow ribbon down a little. The blade designs I tried weren't working and ended too curvy or odd-looking. Yours works well with all tints. I took a look at your one double-edged axe and found that pic even before you modded it did not come into play. I tried labrys, 2h axe, and others and only the top one popped up. So for kicks I switched em. Good thing too as most of yours didn't tint for some reason. After redefining the metal the tinting worked. Its a nice axe.

I can't say I like your version of the halberd. Seems too blocky and overly large. Maybe if we get more polearms in the game. I'll have to compare the hand axes.

Hand axes looked pretty nice. I turned one into a small labrys I just named battle axe and the other I turned into a tabar. I also worked on a mining pick of two sized and a single pick which looks more like a sickle of sorts. Depending on how many overlays can be attached these all would be great, esp if we ended up with more weapons.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grunkk

Post by Grunkk »

Sexy, and yeah the halberd thing does have a huge blade. I couldn't figure out another way to make it smaller as it's about that size irl.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I just noticed I forgot to do golden blades. Either way. That scimmy looks very close in dimensions to various irl scimitars or fantasy scimitars. Really a good job. I don't know if I can do anything new with the old version. I might be able to invert it to make a sickle or find a bladed weapon that is similar to submit.
Grunkk

Post by Grunkk »

Obviously a boomerang. Fighters need a ranged attack too!
Grunkk

Post by Grunkk »

dunno what it is, was trying to make a Bardiche, but my hand took over and I came up with this.
Axe-thing.PNG
Axe-thing16x16.PNG
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

First of all, its cool what you guys have contributed so far to the weapon overlay.

Here is a new overlay and item sprite for the kite shield. I would use the original kite shield overlay and item sprite for the heater shield - See wikipedia: "the heater shield emerged as kite shields were becoming flat-topped and more triangular".
kiteshield.png
kite32.png
Too bad heater and kite shield share the same item sprite.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I'll have to try that one out. I'm thinking of working on spiked shields in the future as I've heard we may or may not get shield bash at some points. My only other comment is this shield looks larger than the current kite and if that one was moved to be a heater then you'd have your kite appearing much larger than the heater. I'd say just stick this one up as a heater. I'll take screenies of it tinted in a bit.

EDIT - Ok here's Morts shields in tint:
Last edited by Keighn on Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Keighn wrote: you'd have your kite appearing much larger than the heater
Why should that be a problem?.
Besides from a historical point of view the heater shield is a smaller flat-topped version of the kite.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

It has been a while since I cracked open my scant few books to compare each shield. Seems the Kite also served to protect the legs more than the heater. Does anyone know what the block rates or stats are for the shields "in-game?" If the current heater is higher than the kite I'd suggest switching the values then.

Another thing that crossed my mind was shield emblems? I think it might be cool if many designs were available for each shield to add more individuality amongst the avatars? Seems like it'd be more of an overlay on an overlay and probably too much trouble. There's just such a large assortment of them in history. Here's just one of many sites I just found. This one only has a few examples but man it had been a long while since I saw those weird spiked shields (totally now what I was imagining when I suggested em; my idea was more or less the spikes justting straight out of the flat surface not at the edges.)

Shields for Beginners
Shield Shapes for Family Crests & Coat of Arms - I'm guessing these are basically heater shield shapes.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

It had been quite some time since I've seen aboriginal and zulu shields. I want to say they're more egg shaped You guys should check out the Lantern shield. Talk about different.

Swords Forum International is a nice site to visit as well
Grunkk

Post by Grunkk »

Buckler -> Small -> Large*? -> Heater -> Kite -> Tower (Going by the artis)
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I've been looking at so many shields I almost wish we could fit a few more in. There's a Tower Shield Artifact? But yeah, that's how it'd prolly be. I wish I still have my venomous and vampyric shields. I bet they look pretty neat under the tinting.

Here's a possibility:

Buckler -> Small (targe)-> Large (Parma) -> Heater -> Kite -> Scuntum(yet another roman shield) -> Tower

There are lots of different shapes and ones used by other soldiering types I'm not going to mention. Some of these could be used for artifacts.
Last edited by Keighn on Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grunkk

Post by Grunkk »

Scuntum sounds like an insult. And no I don't think there is a tower shield arti :O

And just types of things that I thought should be added,

-Estoc: Long french sword designed against Mail or Plate armour, it has no blade only a point.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estoc

-Khopesh: Egyptian sword where the end of it is in the shape of a sickle for disarming moves, the outside of the sickle-shape is sharp, while the inside blunt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sickle-sword

-Shamshir: Persian Sword that was a radical design in its time, long and curved around 15 degrees it is related to the Scimitar, but without a widened end. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamshir

Kalis/Keris: Curved/Wavy dagger that is designed to be easier to pull out of someones body, as straight daggers tend to get stuck in bones, (Fast but Weak)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalis

Schiavona: Basket hilted sword to allow for more protection (Possibly immune to disarm)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schiavona#Schiavona

Kīla: 3-sided dagger which was used as a ritual tool (Extremely effective against creatures who have a weaker stab defence, Extremely weak against monsters who have a stronger defence against slash.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phurba

Shobo: Piece of wood held in the fist position with two ends sticking out over the thumb, and pinkie- Used to strike the pressure points (Monk weapon, possibly weaker but crits more often, or is always enchant with a weak paralyse?)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shobo

Chain Whip: A whip made of metal to allow a series of fast attacks (Could possibly disarm/grip weapons or choke?)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_whip
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Heh, I was actually doing a write up for whips and chain whips were on the top end. Course, writing out some sample stats for such is easy compared to drawing it; IMHO.

We should really start an equipment thread.
Grunkk

Post by Grunkk »

I want the shobo to be put in >:D (FYI the overlay would just be a few brown dots next to where fists would be)
Dralos
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Dralos »

Keighn wrote:We should really start an equipment thread.
I agree, if you make one ill try to contribute as many ideas as possible.
LIKE A BAUSS

~JustChill~
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Applied gray tint to addy tokens then took screen shots of each tint on the coins. Painted some others in a simple matter.
From left to right top row then bottom row:
coins - tokens 32x32.PNG
Steel Metal Gray Token, Brass, Copper, Gold, Venomous, Vampyric, Blackrock/Onyx, Adamantium, Crystal/zircon
Sapphire, Topaz, Emerald, Amethyst, Ruby, Fire Opal, Diamond, Wooden, Bone

I kind of gave up on sapphire as the colors weren't meshing too well and I was being lazy. I think steel and diamond could share, emerald/venomous, ruby/vampyric. I don't even know what the hell you'd do with a vampyric venomous coin.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Played around more as I was curious what some of these other tiles would look like tinted. The silver sheets are different than the gray colors on most of the items. Perhaps that tint on the sheet could be applied to actual silver weapons some day. The one statue I could never quite figure out what it was. Usually I wanted to think it was some sort of Easter Isle head but upon closer examination it appears to be someone near kneeling with their arms over head towards the sky (it kind of appears they're sitting on a toilet or something).

Typical order: normal, silver, brass, copper, gold, blackrock, adamantium, venomous, vampyric, crystal.
tinted stuff.PNG
Sheets are a bit different: gray(steel), silver(original colors), bronze(actually original brass sheet), brass, copper, gold, blackrock, adamantium, venomous, vampyric, crystal.