7DRL 2012 - Escape from the Vault

And other EUO offshoot projects!
eggmceye
hello

Re: 7DRL 2012 - Escape from the Vault

Post by eggmceye »

yeh I actually did a lot in the last month or so
not planning at all on selling it (I was angling to get it on steam but not interested in that idea now)

I think if I can be satisfied with map gen + mages then I might post it and go from there
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Great job egg!
I think gog would be a better place - but that is a personal preference. Nonetheless you should think about putting EftV and EUO on itch.io.

I am just trying to but my own tile.txt together and was wondering what the column "offset" is all about?
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

offset is a working column and ignored by the game ... it is the tile num in each sheet and the real tile num is sheetnum*256+offset
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

EXCELLENT!!! :jam: :jam: :headbang: :jam: :jam:

I awaiteth the dl.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

EftV is not only a fun little game but also offers everything one needs to create her/his own single player dungeon crawler, rouge-like, hack&slash game. Albeit, it is a bit of a hassle at times and comes with an appropriate steep learning curve. You can use EUO's Maped to create new dungeons and realms. And in the end you can create your own tile and sprite templates, add various new material tints as well as items, monsters etc.. - all this without the knowledge of coding. If you want to dig deeper into the realms of programming, EftV like EUO supports LUA scripting with a large API to chooce functions from. Only the allegro engine and the C++ code cannot be tinkered with, but then again there is likely no need for this as there are already a lot of features implemented.

One note on Maped in conjunction with EftV: the first few levels of EftV are randomly created by scripts found in ..\scripts.maps\ These scripts are also loaded by Maped and eventually overwrite your own maps. Best is to play around with level numbers above 014 or so.

So in a nutshell: Thanks egg for releasing such a powerful tool and keeping it updated!

Btw, this reminds me a bit of the game Schleichfahrt or Archimedean Dynasty as it was called in the english speaking world. This game let you tinker with mostly every setting ranging from ammunition stats to submarines mechanics using a text editor - I think this is/was pretty uncommon for any game. Even prior in the dark ages of DOS I used to open every game file with EDLIN or EDIT with mostly no success. Never really got around hacking stuff with an hex editor though
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

maybe one day we can document the API together ^.^ :knife:
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I can use maped with eftv? Is it just that simple as linking entrances and exits?
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

of course: euo and eftv use all the same binary code (ie same exe's) and maped was used to develop and test random mapgen

what the best bit is, is that you load up say level 1 (continent) (or any random map, except caves ... will explain in a sec), hit CTRL-R and it re-randomises it right before your eyes

random caves: they use internal (ie c++ in the exe) algorithm and predate maped's LUA, so ctrl-r doesn't work, nor do these maps even load in maped. However I am putting lua wrappers around them so that will change next update
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Awesome!

My only suggestion per alt. after killing Rustavantis, it unlocks unlimited level advancement.

Only thing better is euo offline IMHO.
ZUPS!!!!
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

Is EftV beatable in it's current form? I plan on playing it later tonight. Also I'm really looking forward to the latest build!
IGN: 1
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

yes it is ... it's a bit grindy and bland, the last level doesn't spawn properly and rustavinious respawns, and when you beat him you get stuck in the final room ... but it doesn't matter since there is nothing much to go back to
EmoMage
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by EmoMage »

is it possible to make EUO completely offline as an option when downloading?

I would like to see that for when I'm on the road or visiting grandma in the middle of bum-fuck-nowhere. I can still play. :D
eggmceye wrote:
ParadoxOfChoice wrote: Zombie using bow/sling probably shouldn't give disease.

the zombies are pulling the arrows out of their ass
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

I beat the game for the first time tonight. I even managed to skip a decent chunk of it.

Overall it was really fun and I look forward to playing more (and speedrunning it as well). Looking forward to the next update.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

more progress:

* scorpion cave is now wrapped in LUA
* replaced pill of rage with pill of strength
* replaced weaken (hex) with slow, lasts for 8-15 turns
* put paralyse time up to 11 turns
* added mana regen
* mage tomes drop in circle order
* fixed: attacking mobs with lasers make laser sound
* fixed: using things like IED that just give helpful message no longer bumps your turn
* completed newstyle vault (now 3 vault styles)
* made subway a bit more interesting by blending it with a cave
* finished a-star for continent: ensuring a path exists from cave to town!
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

Getting to the sewers was pretty time consuming, glad that it's changed with a path now.

What I'd like to see is an option in game or in the launcher to turn on/off turn based combat. It would be easier than editing the config for those that want to switch back and forth.

Keep up the good work Egg. :aus:
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Speaking of speed running. You all remember the ultima games used to record how many moves you made? I'm wondering if eftv could do the same thing. Maybe even a spot we step on "CONGRATULATIONS! Game finished in xxx moves!"
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

Keighn wrote:Speaking of speed running. You all remember the ultima games used to record how many moves you made? I'm wondering if eftv could do the same thing. Maybe even a spot we step on "CONGRATULATIONS! Game finished in xxx moves!"
That's a pretty good idea. An in-game timer that could be toggled on and off would be cool too. Getting to the end of Escape from the Vault was taking me about 30 minutes per run last night.

Now if I could only figure out why the final boss keeps one shotting me even though it didn't happen on my first run.. :mad:
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Counting steps, not actions though, can be done with an auxbox script fairly easy. Such a function was likely written for EUO already (I think I did at some point but cannot find it atm).
Same goes for the time to complete a run. It may even be possible to save the time and create a Highscore, though there are some aspects that needs to be considered.

Edit: That is, if EftV had an auxbox window to begin with... (I should have checked before writing)
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

it does - it is same exe's (infact slightly newer) than current euo
EmoMage
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by EmoMage »

@egg: you know what EUO and EftV are both missing?
eggmceye wrote:
ParadoxOfChoice wrote: Zombie using bow/sling probably shouldn't give disease.

the zombies are pulling the arrows out of their ass