And other EUO offshoot projects!
eggmceye
hello

Re: 7DRL 2012 - Escape from the Vault

Post by eggmceye »

I've started an EFTV pinterest board
http://www.pinterest.com/eggmceye/escap ... the-vault/
EmoMage
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by EmoMage »

well fine. I didn't want to tell you anyway.
eggmceye wrote:
ParadoxOfChoice wrote: Zombie using bow/sling probably shouldn't give disease.

the zombies are pulling the arrows out of their ass
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

eggmceye wrote:it does - it is same exe's (infact slightly newer) than current euo
The executable downloadable from escapefromthevault.com is still from 2012 which runs the game with a fixed resolution of 800x600 and skins (dunno if there is any other resource to get a newer file from).
Good to know that the latest version of EftV will allow auxbox scripting.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Man I loved skins. So many clans even made custom skins for playing. I don't think I tried making skins for the newer euo.

Also now wondering about applying the 3d mode to eftv. It was pretty fun in euo.

Joy to key works easily with eftv so lots of game pad ease there.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Waiting in anticipation.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

sorry: been struggling with some work problems last week or so ... and EFTV has stalled
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Was sitting drinking coffee early this morn and I just thought of trying eftv with the old euo 3d engine. It might work since eftv resembles a much earlier version of euo. Heck I might pull out the skins too. Always loved skins. If I get the 3d working I can finally be robocop 3d euo-Ish style.

I need to relocate the 3d thread.
ZUPS!!!!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I can now say with confidence that in the next few days I'll post my latest EftV ... currently just bugtesting and balancing a little.
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

eggmceye wrote:I can now say with confidence that in the next few days I'll post my latest EftV ... currently just bugtesting and balancing a little.
Excited for this! :geek:
IGN: 1
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Me as well. I may be picking up a laptop soon so I will finally be able to play around with crypt wizard as well. Sadly it'll be a win 8 lap top and the last one i messe around with in a walmart screwed up. I quietly walked away as it did not reboot at all. I didn't check for smoke.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

this won't be part of the release, but I felt like resurrecting moagl after like 4 years ....
took a bit of fucking around but have a working non/crashing build full of bugs

shouldn't be wasting my time on this: but time wasted having fun is not wasted :lesson:

I still get a slight thrill having made a 3d renderer ... that was the holy grail for me for many years

Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Ah cool. FPS gamepad time here I await!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I quite like EftV : the turned based nature really brings out the tactics and gives you a chance to think about what you want to do. It's not amazing tactics but it's very EUO tactics.

It's very easy, as far as rougelikes go. As long as you don't get your head above water or do anything stupid you should finish the game in a couple of hours. There are no 1 hit random deaths: but there can be combos of things that kill you. A trapped chest will never kill you if you are at full HP: but opening one when next to a lightning rat might. Pills are now randomised: but try them all: there are no ill effects other than wasting them if you can't ID them.

You can either search consoles for spare parts or activate them for fun: both have small chance to zap you but again, will never kill you: and this time even if you are not full hp. You can toggle lights on and off. There are 3 different algorithms for the vaults. Much less grindy: only 3 vaults, 1 cave, 1 continent, 1 subway, 1 military base: so it's pretty short.

Have re-written mages: they are fun and OP. Fighters interface is really good: bind your fave ranged weapon to 1 : and equip a melee weapon. Whenever you hit F it autoswaps and shoots (and swaps back): same for specials like aimed & spray. Never have to manually switch weps. Spray is pretty OP fun but gratifying. I'm dubious about engineers: will play thru now with one and see. Lots of spare parts now so no shortage. plenty of room for recipe expansion, and maybe deconstruction or item conversion.

Almost all mobs have some ability or spell. Much more interesting. Also trying to spawn combo groups: eg a mutant priest+2 raiders. Vaults need more variety, but later. Terminators have a new powerful laser that only works when you are exactly NSEW or NW SW NE SE: so positioning will save you. Reanimated soldiers chuck grenades that take 3 turns to blow up, In a future build you might be able to kick the grenades back at the enemy.

Races: mutant is the staple: the hp regen is needed. Alien swaps that for IR vision which I don't think is useful. Robot: lots of spares so s/b easy.

Don't forget to look at my EftV pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/eggmceye/escap ... the-vault/
Release will be no later than Monday night 26th sydney time.

Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Awesome!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I just finished with an engineer. It's a bit harder and the crafting (like all crafting?) a bit underwhelming. Tons of spares to spam grenades at the end boss. I had a couple of good drops tho that helped: a katana of mind flaying (GP) and taser of lightning bolt and an AK47+4

Engineer def harder at beginning. Also they don't benefit as much in the vault from the terminals: remember: you can search or activate a terminal. Searching gives you spares. Engineers (and robots) need spares so are less likely to get all the good benefits of activating all the terminals. Tho early on their personal teleporter+clocking device handy for getting out of trouble.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

engineer design ideas:

Currently they have about 6 recipes or so: they are all known at beginning and skill starts at 20 but bumps VERY quickly: such that you can make the hardest item (sentry gun) after only about 7 crafts. Also there is only one ingredient 'spare parts'

current list of crafts:
lockpick : only used on chests, same as euo
IED : 3x3 area land mine: blows up if enemy steps on. Awkward to use as grenade does same thing but easier to use. Could be enhanced by stunning in a bigger radius.
grenade: 3x3 area explosion. could be nerfed by adding delay timer rather than instant explosion
cloaking device: instant invis, all thread is lost
teleporter: blink potion
sentry gun: spawns a friendly laser shooting gun

proposal #1:
* start with 100% crafting:
just so there is no pretense of skill gain at all: ie it's a simplification

proposal #2:
* engineers start wit 100% crafting
* start with only 1 or two known recipes
* the rest drop as blueprints
this makes engineers closer to mages, but craft based

pros:
* get the 'thrill' of getting drops (see cons)

cons:
* similar progression to mages: ie samey, not enough difference
* waiting for blueprints to drop could be annoying
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

eggmceye wrote:this won't be part of the release, but I felt like resurrecting moagl after like 4 years ....
The subway station looks pretty cool in 3d. How about a first person mode, in the veins of Wolfenstein/Catacombs 3D.
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

LordMortiferus wrote:
eggmceye wrote:this won't be part of the release, but I felt like resurrecting moagl after like 4 years ....
The subway station looks pretty cool in 3d. How about a first person mode, in the veins of Wolfenstein/Catacombs 3D.
A first person EUO or EFTV would be a dream come true. I was hoping that's where EUO would be headed when I first played EUO in 3d.

Also Robot Engineer was what I determined to be the easiest way to beat EFTV. Took about 20 minutes to finish it. Looking forward to the next release.
IGN: 1
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

starting a new thread for the new version: bon voyage!