PD weekly ladder - now live!

Permanent Death and No Grind specific discussion goes here.

Moderator: EUO Moderators

xShawtyx
Good morning, Captain.

Re: PD weekly ladder - now live!

Post by xShawtyx »

I think what WOULD make it a bit more fun though, and since it's weekly and has a little more leeway, maybe at level 75 when you can remort, you can also have the choice change classes? I think that would encourage grinding more beyond level 90 and possibly up the competition a bit.
Egg chopped off his arm to get rid of a rash, but its okay.. it'll grow back! He's a crab. Trist is my Fav TrollFace!!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Probably too long to read but oh well.

I'll just list all the idea numerically. PD ladder if for a challenge not to be a swiss/limburger cheese factory for easy skills and leveling. Not a newb competition. For other servers newb island is fine this, nix. Anyway the list:

1. Nix Newb island (characters start with standard equipment based on class along with basic spells of their class if applicable).

2. Old Respawns (ie dungeon must be cleared with no one in it for 2-3 minutes before that level respawns)

3. Ditch the university/arena/DTK/Library

4. No XP Sharing (hell no partying period would be preferrable - competition no a buddy fest)

5. Ditch all current quests (mostly pointless as gold is useless and no xp available; items can be found)

6. Ditch all towns and go with 8 town that all look the same. (town comprise of res spot,town portalspot, Random class skill NPC (ie. backstab, longswords special, gouge, etc) Once I count the # of "specials" it could be determined what random specials are available in what town.

7. Charactes start in a random town. As all towns are basically equal not a huge difference.

8. All dungeons are random dungeons and not the dungeons you know and love of regular euo. (think Rank Dungeon/treacherous caverns/farimond) Perhaps some new randomization.

9. Random Polypile recipes every week. This keeps you guessing.

10. No buffing others (has no effect)

11. 2 other random continents (1 is random underworld the other is reached via random dungeons there to the other world) Each world is progressively harder (I'm sure something can be thought up based on the monsters around the database to cover the full spectrum). Last random continent can be center of the earth or w/e where the foulest beasts are along with random dungeons to match.

12. New stones Quest. All stones go to one of the 8 virtue shrines. Maendir is nixxed as its cheesy as hell for the competition depending on class/race. Each town has a virtue so is probably named after the virtue (doesn't matter Honorville, valor Haven, w/e). There's an NPC there that will give you a quest to get the stone. The quest is easy "Kill large number of a certain mob, return and the stone is yours." (since towns are redone its simplier this way). Another option is to just nix those quests as well.

Stones don't do anything but activate the shrine guardian which you must kill to reveal the ladder to that shrine dungeon.
Order of toughness:
White - pests
Yellow - goblins/orcs/bandits/mages
Orange - Lesser Undead
Red - Trolls/ettins/cyclops etc
Green - Minotaurs/zorn/firelizards/basilisks
Blue - Greater Undead
Purple - Daemons/devils/fire daemons/nightmares/firefoxes/mothras
Black - Dragons/golems

Shrine dungeons are bottomless each level makes the monster 1 level tougher (ie. lvl 4 on the pest dungeon would be lvl 4 pests (think how pets works) (level 20 troll dungeon has lvl 20 trolls).

13. No more TPs (very old school depending on the rpg) You crawl your ass down you crawl your ass back up.

I had a #14 about a .001 chance that walking on any outdoor terrain would net a random encounter tailored to that tile but probably annoying.

More or less complete random competitive playing.
ZUPS!!!!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

xShawtyx wrote:I happen to like the noob island. Easy to grind the first 10 levels or so to get your skills up a bit and a slight chance if you're a mage to go ahead and try to get gp and some vig so then you can jump right in and kill harder stuff. Sure you could grind the jail but eh. Plus not starving on noob island makes it agood way for people to bullshit with other people on that server.
I'm not picking a fight but that's a valid reason right there to nix it. Smelly cheese a galaxy away.
ZUPS!!!!
xShawtyx
Good morning, Captain.

Post by xShawtyx »

Keighn wrote:
I'm not picking a fight but that's a valid reason right there to nix it. Smelly cheese a galaxy away.

Well Genius, whether you grind skills on noob island or in a jail, you can still grind rats for the first 10 levels anywhere, so either way it doesn't make a difference.
Egg chopped off his arm to get rid of a rash, but its okay.. it'll grow back! He's a crab. Trist is my Fav TrollFace!!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Again, read rest of my ideas. No jail. Not same. Newb isle is immortal isle. Nearly impossible to die there. Are you against a challenge from the start?
ZUPS!!!!
xShawtyx
Good morning, Captain.

Post by xShawtyx »

LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON nothing against you, most of it I didn't read, I slightly skimmed it and lost interest. Was some things I found pointless to change or get rid of. Nothing really worth putting an input on.
Last edited by xShawtyx on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ibrowniedefender
on lolpatrol

Post by ibrowniedefender »

Keighn wrote:blah blah blah blah
sounds to me like your trying to create an entirely different game........ a game i think no one would play tbh

after all isnt it only supposed to be a variation
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I'm not creating anything. Gameplay is the same at its core. Competitive. The post was a bit long but now instead of a notepad its on the forums to be dissected at will.

If the developer don't like it then he will say its crap and NEXT to another idea. I figured something that doesn't resemble the other servers would be refreshing and even more challenging.
ZUPS!!!!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

8, 9, 12 are ok but the rest is just noise
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

8. All dungeons are random dungeons and not the dungeons you know and love of regular euo. (think Rank Dungeon/treacherous caverns/farimond) Perhaps some new randomization.
Might want to make the random dungeons either bottomless or try a 16 or 20 lvl formula to make monsters more varied than the current formula. (Natrually harder the further down you go -- thinking as per Akalabeth, ultima I,II,III style here)

15. Nix the minimap. Nothing is more confusing that the days of old not knowing what's around you or where you've been. Old school rpgs may have been annoying but the thrill was there.
ZUPS!!!!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Couple other small ones:

16. No hiding behind lvl 19 (when you have enough xp for lvl 20 whether you get it or not you're pvp enabled) {that or you just lvl automatically upon enough xp}

17. Not a problem but could be (GMs can't /reset or /jail themselves or others).
ZUPS!!!!
Eidolon
I should probably get out more.

Post by Eidolon »

Sorry for being off topic, and this is a real question not trying to offend.

destroyer if you put a quarter of the time into learning how to program/make a game as you do into playing and trying to come up with new ideas for euo you could probably make your own game where you implement all of your ideas. have you ever tried, wanted to, or thought of that? it would probably be a successful game, you seem to have a super creative personality.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I took 5 years of pascal, basic, assembly, and C and it fried my brain. I honest to goodness can't stand programming. I can screw around with some html coding, take examples from the wiki and do some stuff there, but from scratch NADA. It might have been the teachers but more than likely it is beyond my capabilities. (broken down, 2 years pascal, 1 year basic, 1 year assembly, 1 year C if that's what it was. was from a book I studied all that year.)

The most I can do is dream, suggest, and play. I'm not even a very good bug finder if actively looking. Take a look at when Max was wanting bugs found, I found maybe 2 and they were probably not even bugs. I can type like hell, read, file, etc (pity all the secretary jobs are taken around town). There's even the ability to reference some games and maybe study them.

I fail at lua as well. For the life of me I don't know how you guys came up with what you have.

P.S. I barely broke a D at programming and I tried and tried. Hmm.. I can wash dishes pretty good though. Looking at the technological world I feel like a dinosaur. I finally got an mp3 player last year and now its so outdated its laughable.

This years goal: mow 4 acres all summer with a weed wacker (looks like a golf club with sharp blades. Maybe I'll play golf some day).
ZUPS!!!!
xShawtyx
Good morning, Captain.

Post by xShawtyx »

Possibly Make XC a drop, the two hours it takes to get it is a pain in the ass, anything worth killing for XP you need XC or you're there for 40 minutes with GP!
Ozimandias
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Ozimandias »

Keighn wrote:
P.S. I barely broke a D at programming and I tried and tried. Hmm.. I can wash dishes pretty good though. Looking at the technological world I feel like a dinosaur. I finally got an mp3 player last year and now its so outdated its laughable.

This years goal: mow 4 acres all summer with a weed wacker (looks like a golf club with sharp blades. Maybe I'll play golf some day).
You're not alone. I became an English major after realizing I would never make it in graphic design from all the technical coding and math involved LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON
YAY OBSOLETE JOURNALISM!
There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't,
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I decided to waste some of my time today and draw up the 8 generic town maps modelled after each stone. There really isn't much to them and they're supposed to be rather arena-like. Features of the maps that they all have:
1. tp area
2. /binding area
3. 4 NPCS that teach either: general combat skills, monk abilities, fighter abilities, rogue abilities.
4. 1 Quest NPC
5. No guards

General idea after leaving newbie isle is you start randomly at one of the 8 towns.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ZUPS!!!!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Continued..... Note that the Circle of Death is just an idea I have about a combat arena.

EDIT - I'm not sure why water is showing under some of the tiles. In maped the correct floor usually spawned under the right ones (ie. green tile under trees). In purple you can't see the barriers which goes on the off-colored purple tiles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ZUPS!!!!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I forgot to put in the anvils, brazier, alchemy bench, and stove; now amended. I also rotated on each map where the trainer NPCS are (this actually goes for the anvils and Quest NPC trainer as well). I'm not exactly sure what else should be in a lotl town. You don't need merchants (includes healer and banker). I left guards out though I'm considering putting at least 1 in somewhere.
ZUPS!!!!
ibrowniedefender
on lolpatrol

Post by ibrowniedefender »

it may just be me, but i think there too big
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

They're 29x29. I really don't feel like redrawing them smaller. Besides being a town they're basically a miniature arena themselves.
ZUPS!!!!